Open or Closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Is it best to leave your Macbook open or closed when not in use (its at a desk)?

I'm worried about wearing out the hinge lol I always used to leave my PC notebook open. What do you guys do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I can't imagine it would make a difference either way and don't think you need to worry about the hinge. I close mine when I'm not using it but I'm generallly not using it on a desk. I will say that it feels more "vulnerable" when left open - but I have 2 cats that I don't want curling up on the nice warm keyboard...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Most laptops dont rely on a hinge system these days. Most tend to use a gear clutch unit. Macbooks have 2 clutch units on either side of the lid mount.

the chance's of wearing out a clutch are slim to almost none.

So with that in mind it's best to use the clutches and save the screen from damage.
Especially as a screen is more expensive and fiddlier to fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I close mine to keep the dust and dog hair out.

Reaction score
I close it when not in use. I have left it open twice and have freaked out. I have two cats in house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4; 1.07 GHz; 512 MB; Radeon 9200; 40 GB HDD
keep it closed -- that way it is protected at all times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I keep it closed as well to protect it and to stop it getting dusty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Keep it closed, unless your downloading something or need to keep an active internet connection.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Closed it will be! Thanks guys! =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
just my opinion, I would be more worried about what bad things can happen by keeping it open rather than your hinges.. an open laptop is just asking for issues.

Reaction score
just my opinion, I would be more worried about what bad things can happen by keeping it open rather than your hinges.. an open laptop is just asking for issues.

i leave mine about 1-2 inches from closed to keep an active internet connection. If its off, its closed all the way.

I wish they would give you the option of not going to sleep mode when its closed..

Reaction score
I wish they would give you the option of not going to sleep mode when its closed..

Apple makes it so you can't do this because Macbooks/Laptops in general get relatively hot when in use. Therefore if you could close the lid completely while the laptop is still running you run the risk of damaging your screen from the heat. So if you must "close" it while its still running then just leave it up about an inch.

-Keef.

Reaction score
Apple makes it so you can't do this because Macbooks/Laptops in general get relatively hot when in use. Therefore if you could close the lid completely while the laptop is still running you run the risk of damaging your screen from the heat. So if you must "close" it while its still running then just leave it up about an inch.

-Keef.
Love your avatar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Thats not completely true, yes the system does get hot, but you can plug in an external monitor and keyboard/mouse and still use the MacBook whilst closed. I do this quite often with no adverse effects to the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2G
Thats not completely true, yes the system does get hot, but you can plug in an external monitor and keyboard/mouse and still use the MacBook whilst closed. I do this quite often with no adverse effects to the screen.

Can a n00b ask how this is done? I just got my MacBook on Wednesday, and just hooked up my ViewSonic widescreen. I don't see any settings in my System area to let the book stay "live" with the screen closed all the way and an external monitor attached.

I tried the search option and so far haven't found the solution. Edited to add: I did find the Insomniax listings, but it said that with an external monitor and keyboard/mouse attached, the system should not shut down, but mine still is... Could it be because I'm using a KVM switch?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Hey telemark!

It's actually pretty easy to accomplish this setup. Your macbook can be woken from sleep while closed in two different ways.

1) With the macbook closed, insert either a USB mouse or keyboard into a usb port, the system will turn on.

2) With the macbook closed and a usb keyboard or mouse already plugged in prior, simply click a button on that mouse/keyboard.

*3) I'm not sure, but if you have your usb devices plugged in, plugging in your display (via mini-DVI adapter) also wakes the machine.

Basically, put your macbook to sleep (close the lid) and plug something in, that should be all that there is to it.

NOTE: Your external power source must be plugged in for any of this to work.

EDIT: Some say that the displays need to be set to "mirror" mode, I have found this to be untrue. Also, do not believe the hype that a closed macbook that is on will damage the LCD from excessive heat. The macbook was designed to be able to do this function safely.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.