An Odd Observation?

Reaction score
So if my macbook is like anyone elses, whenever normally I put lots of stress on it and run things with lots of CPU usage, it runs up to 190F and the fans kick in and the whole 9.

But then I just happened to be running rosetta@home (takes up all of both processors, usually makes fans go crazy) and I took out the battery (of course while I was connected to power). Temperatures dropped to 145 within probably 15 seconds. DRASTIC difference.

Anyone know why this is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
One, there is only one processor in your MacBook. :black:
Two, the battery is a main source of heat in a notebook comptuer. Removing it will drop the temperature significantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Because you just cut the processor power in half pretty much.

OP
L
Reaction score
One, there is only one processor in your MacBook. :black:
Two, the battery is a main source of heat in a notebook comptuer. Removing it will drop the temperature significantly.

Yeah, I was thinking core and wrote processor
Because you just cut the processor power in half pretty much.

Why is that though? I was always under the assumption that when the power supply was in that it ran straight from that as if the battey wasnt even in, hence which is why I was suprised that taking the battery out with it plugged in did anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Your processor power was not cut in half. It hadn't changed any by taking the battery out. You can confirm this by running your activity monitor and seeing that the CPU usage wouldn't change.
The battery was causing the heat and removing it will drop the temp quite a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Batteries work via a chemical reaction. As we all know, chemical reactions result in two things: energy and chemical by-products. Now, since we have yet to create a means of getting power that is 100% efficient, some of that energy will be in the form of heat. Now, this heat has to go somewhere. If it stays in the battery, then the battery won't be lasting very long as the heat will build up to the point where it'll melt the battery's components.

So the heat is dissipated out to the surrounding air and to whatever it is in contact with, which in this case would be the laptop. So if you remove the battery, the heat isn't being transferred to the case, and yep, you guessed right, the temperature of the case goes down. Just like magic eh? ;)

Reaction score
So DOES or DOES it NOT run on 1 core without the battery? That story seems pretty persistant...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
download coreduo temp.

its a fact that your cpu is speed limited when the battery is removed.

geee, i wonder why its running cooler? hmmmm :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.