Ram or something else?

Reaction score
I often have an issue with my internet running REALLY slow on my imac intel core 2 duo, I monitor my RAM in the activity Manager and it doesnt seem to be maxing out. I used to use Firefox that ran too slow and had pop-ups so I switched back to Safari... Now I get the same problem... i run about 4-5 tabs at a time. It actually just shut down completely a second ago and I had to reluanch... Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Are you sure this is not an issue with your internet connection? You might think you have a fast connection but sometimes thigs grind to a halt. If you problem is slow loading pages and slow downloads it is likely to be the connection.

You didn't say, but how are applications that don't use the Internet? Do they run fast or are they grinding to a halt as well?

M

MacHeadCase

If it was RAM that was acting up, you'd get kernel panics galore, which is much more spectacular than getting slow internet speed.

Like wheels5894 suggests I would look at either your ISP or something related to internet usage, maybe a browser with its cache too full or the like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Or another device on the LAN with the same IP address.

OP
jmf421
Reaction score
OK I think I figured it out... I had Azureus running in the background... Even though I had stopped all the downloads it was still slowing things down. I quit the program and wssssshhhhhh Fast I went!

Also I was thinking of jumping from 1gb on Ram to 2gb for other reasons (using Macromedia, Photoshop, illustrator... etc) Will I notice that much of a difference. I will still experience the boost from having matching pairs... where as if I make the leap to 2.5 or 3gb I wont... What would you guys recomend? Also where is a good place to buy RAM?

Jeremy
Jmfprinting.com
forumforest.com
totalsubmitcentral.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.