Will Panther run these programs?

Reaction score
I'm currently running OS 9.2 and am looking into doing a clean install of 10.3. (Going to wipe the drive and start fresh, not upgrade.) Will I run into any problems with any of the programs listed below:

Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Distiller 4.0
Adobe Illustrator 9
Adboe Photoshop 6
Adobe Type Manager (ATM) 4.6
FileMaker Pro 5
Flightcheck 3.9
IE5.1
Macromedia Dreamweaver Ultradev (4)
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
Macromeida Fireworks 4
Macromedia Fireworks MX
Macromedia Flash 5
Macromedia Flash MX
Macromeida Freehand 9
Microsoft Outlook 2001
Microsoft Powerpoint 98
Microsoft Word 98
Quark Xpress 4.1
Swift 3D
Winamp 0.71

Will they run straight in Panther, or will I need Classic mode? Is Classic mode installed when you do a fresh install of 10.3, or do you need to have 9.2 installed as well? If I do need to keep an install of 9.2 on the system, is it ok if it's on the same drive as 10.3? Is it better to install 10.3 over my current 9.2, or do as I planned, wipe the drive, and start from scratch for both OSs? I've seen some people say that their version of Panther has Classic with it, while others don't. We just ordered Panther week or two ago so I'm sure it's the latest version, but I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. :)

So, I'd like to wipe the harddrive clean and start from fresh just to avoid and conflicts or problems hanging around from the old 9.2 install. Should I:

1) Wipe hdd, install just 10.3, and Classic will be installed along with it at the same time?
2) Wipe hdd, install 10.3 and then 9.2?
3) Wipe hd, install 9.2 and then 10.3?
4) Keep old 9.2, install 10.3 over it?

Thanks all!
m19

K

KLank

Well, I'm very new to Mac's but I'll answer the question that I know.

After you do a clean install of Panther, you will need to insert the Panther DVD after the install and choose the option to install Classic mode (it's bundled in the same install where you can also install X11 and the Developer stuff). Or at least this is how it works with my 10.3.2 restore disc that came with my PowerBook.

I'm not sure how upgrades work with Mac, but from my Windows days I ALWAYS took the clean install route. This way you never had to worry about something being left behind that would make the system unstable.

Just my two cents. And seeing as I'm still a newbie, maybe it only counts as 1. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Klank!

I agree, I'm of the Windows mindset as well that a clean install is always the best route. But from what it sounds like, people are saying I'll need 9.2 and 10.3 installed hand-in-hand to run Classic... I guess Classic is just Panther's way of saying 9.2?

Also, another general question for the board: when someone says "run Classic," is that something that's emulated within 10.3 or a separate boot into? So say I had a Classic program and a 10.3 program I wanted to run during the day. Can I start in 10.3, start the program, and then start up the Classic program within 10.3? Or would I have to keep switching back and forth between Classic and Panther?

Phew! Thanks for the help, just trying to wrap my head aruond this. Any other input is heartily welcomed. :)

m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
you can have both Classic and Panther running at the same time.....When you open the classic application it will open up in a window that looks like its another computer with the OS9 running.

You can also set your computer to boot straight into classic if you want by going to System Preferences - Startup Disk and selecting the OS 9 folder as the boot folder

OP
M
Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
You can also set your computer to boot straight into classic if you want by going to System Preferences - Startup Disk and selecting the OS 9 folder as the boot folder

Excellent! That was where my thoughts were headed next, regarding the difference between "booting into" and "running at the same time" deal. Two remaining questions:

1) Any advice on whether I should (as I'd previously planned) wipe the drive and start from scratch with a fresh install, or just install 10.3 overtop the current 9.2?

2) If I do wipe the drive and do a fresh install, do I need to actually install 9.2 from a 9.2 OS disc first and then load 10.3? Or if I only use the 10.3 discs, can Classic be installed from them?

m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Gratze! Ok last one, I swear... I'm more than familiar with PC OS installations and know that partitions come into play. I've also heard mention of partitions and separate drives for running 10 and Classic; I've checked over those two links and don't see any mention of that, but is it ok to only have one drive?

m19

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea you dont need to have partitions for the separate OSs

OP
M
Reaction score
...which of course made me think of something else last night. ;) I have all the info I need now to feel confident in updating to 10.3, but just in case something funky does happen... Is there any way to revert back to 9.2 as it is now? Is it as simple as booting into 9.2 and ignoring 10.3 altogether, or do I have to remove the Panther software altogether?

m19

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If your system can boot OS 9, which I am assuming it can. You can switch the boot start up drive to OS 9, if you have a problem.

I really don't think you are going to have a problem with OS X. The way the classic (OS 9.2.2) environment works, you should be okay.

OP
M
Reaction score
That's the feeling I'm getting, I'd just rather be incredibly anal and thorough before anything *might* happen. :)

m19

OP
M
Reaction score
I wanted to give another thanks to everyone in this thread who helped out. I installed a fresh harddrive, copied my old files over, and installed Panther overtop 9.2 on Friday and everything went great. :)

m19

L

Leighton14

Software compatibility with os 10.x

Ok, as far as I can tell you got her up an running OS 10.3, but you didn't let her know which programs have to run in Classic mode from her list. I need to know some of this same information on these programs.

Acrobat 5.0
Acrobat Distiller 5.0
Adobe Photoshop 6.0
Microsoft Word 98
Bar Code Pro 4.0
Creo Trapwise 3.6

Thanks for any help you can give.

Leigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Preview in Panther OSX3 reads pdfs & TextEdit can save as pdf. Unless you need Acrobat for something else there is really no need for it.
Sorry, can't help with the others but 98 could run OK with VPC.
I have Panther with the Classic option installed so most OS9 software runs OK ~ it just asks if I want to boot to Classic before starting them (Thats an easily set option.)
Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Leighton14 said:
Ok, as far as I can tell you got her up an running OS 10.3, but you didn't let her know which programs have to run in Classic mode from her list. I need to know some of this same information on these programs.

Acrobat 5.0
Acrobat Distiller 5.0
Adobe Photoshop 6.0
Microsoft Word 98
Bar Code Pro 4.0
Creo Trapwise 3.6

Thanks for any help you can give.

Leigh
each of these apps have os x compatible versions, except distiller, which isnt really needd anymore, there are better barcode apps now, word 98 is classic only,
PS 6 is classic only, and Ive never heard of that last one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.