Forum use: How do I...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
1. Add a link from the forum to answer a question that has already been answered? Such as the switchers FAQ's.
2. Post a link to a web site with a link that says something like: here or read this ?

Ever the noobie and full of questions! :D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you just want to post a link to a thread or post on this forum in a thread on this forum?

easy!

to link a thread, navigate to that thread and note the title and the url/address in your address bar.
example:
title: Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information
url: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49528

then, in the thread you want to post the link, paste the title, then highlight the title and hit the "insert link" button (looks like a globe with a chain link). then paste the url into the pop-up that appears and hit "ok".

you can do the same with a specific post in a thread by cicking on the number that appears on the top right of a post. say i wanted to just link the first post of the switcher f.a.q. in the first example, i would click the little #1 on the first post and a new tab/window will open with just that post. copy that url (in this case: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=301331&postcount=1) and paste it as shown in the first example.

you can also quote others to see how they "code" a post if you want to figure out how something like this is done.

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks Eric, I have always wondered how to do that as well.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Eric, thanks so much. Very clear instructions. Rep!

Reaction score
You can also just cut, paste, and type it using bbcode.

For example, the url for this thread is:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57781

To add a link to this thread, you just type a post; you can even do it in the "Quick Reply" window at the bottom of the page. Let's say we want the post to read "Please follow this link to see about linking posts," and we want the words follow this link to be a clickable link.

You would actually type:

Please follow <url=http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57781>follow this link</url> to see about linking posts.

Except instead of < and > you use [ and ] to bracket the url command. SO it's (bracket) url (equals) the url you want to link to (bracket) text you want to be clickable (bracket) (slash) url (bracket).

I find it easier just to type it out. So if I want to send someone to mac-forums.com I just type "Go to <url=www.mac-forums.com>Mac-Forums!</url>" except of course I use brackets rather than less- and more-than. So it shows up on the board like this:

Go to Mac-Forums!

Make sense?

Reaction score
no can you please explain it again for me? ;)

Step 1: unplug your computer
Step 2: replace the computer in its original packaging
Step 3: ship your computer to someone smarter

:eek:

Joking, dude! Stay safe ...

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha! Yes Todd, couldn't be clearer and thanks!

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm trying it here. Let's see if I got it! :D

To go to the best forum on the web Click here

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is awesome Eric...thanks for your help.
You and ToddG make a great team! Of course, KoDorSean throws in a little humor to balance things out! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.