• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Stop Global Warming On Your PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thats What Local Cooling does.

Pretty nifty idea, too bad its only for PC users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
That's the first good suggestion to stop global warming I've heard. So long as a global warming prevention idea isn't mandated by government and forced upon the public, I support it. I don't think climate change is as bad as the government forcing us to change our behavior. That's called totalitarianism. Totalitarianism for the sake of environmentalism is as wrong as totalitarianism for any other reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Macs already have amazing power saving functionality built into the OS. I guess I'm just not sure what I'm missing?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm sure you can do similar things on a mac.

1) cut cpu and memory usage as much as possible. remove some of the eye candy and extraneous progrmas, shut things down that you're not using, even dashboard.

2) shorten the length of time until your monitor, hard drives, and mac itself sleeps. and don't use a screensaver.

3) shut the mac down if you're not going to use it for a few hours.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I just thought it was a cool program, makes it pretty easy, an all in one kinda deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Am I missing something or is the download only for WinXP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Your eyes do not deceive you. The OP mentions it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Haha yeah, I re-read the OP. I just got home from work and didn't really pay attention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
Although I'm not completely sold on this whole global warming thing (let the flame wars begin) I wonder how this would work in Parallels, or if it would even be worth it since I use Windows apps less that 20% of the time I'm using my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Macs already have amazing power saving functionality built into the OS. I guess I'm just not sure what I'm missing?

My editing station (my mac quad and a few accessories) costs $900 a month extra on the power bill compared to when I am not using it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you sure air conditioning is not included with that bill? I am running the same system as you are expect for the 23inch monitor, mine a 20 and my total bill is about 100 or so. My problem is, I have an electric oven.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83, iBook G3 800, iMac G3 233, Mac Classic, Apple IIc. And too many PC's to count.
I wonder if this will work in 2000...alternatively, does anyone know how fast XP would run on a 233 MHz Pentium MMX?;)

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong but, can't you edit power/energy settings in XP? I doubt very much this program configures my PC to anything other than can be configured by me through various menus. This begs the question, if i have my PC set up the way i want it, why do I want to download a program that's going to mess everything up? Guess I just don't see the point...then again I'm not one of the ones who's freaking out about global warming either, it was durn cold this winter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I find the best way to conserve energy is taking advantage to as much natural lighting as possible.

My real problem is going to be when I get my 24'' iMac, considering the screen is so large, it also acts as a stand-up tanning bed lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
My editing station (my mac quad and a few accessories) costs $900 a month extra on the power bill compared to when I am not using it.

$900?!?!? Yeah.....no offense but.....I just can't see that being possible from ones consumer computer, workstation or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.