New Mac and iTunes / old shuffle

Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a new Macbook and brand new iTunes but an existing shuffle. When I plug it into the Mac it gives me the option to erase the ipod and sync with the library. I don't want to do that I just want to keep the same music on there and maybe delete or add a few tracks. It doesn't seem to be giving me any other options other than delete.

Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks so much

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Just ignore the prompt and click on your iTunes library and drag whatever songs you want onto your Shuffle.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi there,

The prompt either says Delete or Cancel. If I cancel, the shuffle does not appear in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Oh, that's strange. I don't really know then, sorry I couldn't help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you post a screenshot of what the message looks like? I'm pretty good at figuring out most iTunes problems.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi the Customer,

4bi8746.jpg

The shuffle appears on the desktop until I click cancel and then it doesn't register anywhere.

Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really have no idea. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reaction score
Yah, I guess there is no other way then erasing your shuffle. What I would suggest: If you still have the "old" mac (the one you synced the shuffle with) you can check what songs you have on your shuffle, create a playlist on your new mac with the same songs, connect the shuffle to the new mac and erase it, put the playlist on your shuffle.

even a bit easier: If you have a playlist with the shuffle songs on your old computer you can export that one and import it into itunes on your new mac. that should do it.

The bottom line is: You have to erase the music from your shuffle in order to use it with the new mac. I guess that's one of those "Don't steal music" things and you can't restore bought music from an old shuffle to your library in case you lost or accidentally deleted it. I feel like I read somewhere that you can restore bought music into iTunes from an iPod G5 but I am not 100% on that. Anybody else who knows more?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.