iWork 06 - Pages

Reaction score
Ok, first off, i love how you can export it as a word file. And from what i have seen the formatting stays the same. My only issue...

How do you do outlined lists like you would see on a test or quiz?

a.

b.

I cant seem to figure this out, or do it easily like in word. There has to be a way to do this in Pages. Anyone know how? I have been searching through help and cant really find what i am looking for...

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome farnzy to Mac-forums. I haven't tried this yet but I think it might work for you. Go to help in Pages, type in lists and then choose "Creating your own list style." This lets you create the type list of numbers, alphabet style that you want and you can save it to the list tab at the top which only lists a few choices such as bullets, numbers etc. Hope this helps.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you! I am going to try that right now! By the way I just made the switch a few weeks ago, and LOVE my macbook. Already looking into getting an apple for home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
Congrats, Im in the same boat as you are....loving my macbook.:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 24"
I went the other direction... Got the desktop first and will look toward a macbook in the futre :) Let me know how you like pages and any compatibility issues you may have with word. I need to get a word processor for my daughter's school work, but would MUCH prefer to use pages.

Waiting on my word trial to end (why does word look so much better on my Mac?) before I start the pages trial. Of course I'm also hoping for iwork 07 to come out soon :)

Reaction score
I love pages but I use omni outliner for these type of things. I stumbled on it by accident when I was i the apps folder. Great program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I went the other direction... Got the desktop first and will look toward a macbook in the futre :) Let me know how you like pages and any compatibility issues you may have with word. I need to get a word processor for my daughter's school work, but would MUCH prefer to use pages.

Waiting on my word trial to end (why does word look so much better on my Mac?) before I start the pages trial. Of course I'm also hoping for iwork 07 to come out soon :)

I went the other direction first too and will try to get a MacBook later. I really love Pages and how easy it is to use. Produces very nice documents! I'm also waiting for 07 (it may have a spreadsheet) and will definitely upgrade.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope this is what the OP is after. Seems to work for me here.

To format an ordered list using the Text Inspector:
Press the Return key to start a new paragraph, or select one or more paragraphs to format as an ordered list.
Click Inspector in the toolbar, and then click the Text Inspector button.
Click List.
Choose Tiered Numbers from the Bullets & Numbering pop-up menu, and then choose a numbering style from the pop-up menu directly below it.
Do one of the following to add new topics:
To enter a new topic at the current outline level, press Return.

OP
F
Reaction score
My problem is this...

I am a teacher and i need to create multiple choice tests. Unfortunately, if you select numbers from the tierred list, it stays numbers.

In word, you can have a number, hit return, it will be the next number, but if you tab over it becomes a (a.) or something like that. Having a really hard time pulling this off in pages without serious time consuming manipulation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
My problem is this...

I am a teacher and i need to create multiple choice tests. Unfortunately, if you select numbers from the tierred list, it stays numbers.

In word, you can have a number, hit return, it will be the next number, but if you tab over it becomes a (a.) or something like that. Having a really hard time pulling this off in pages without serious time consuming manipulation.

I thought I saw a template in pages for "Quizes" or something along those lines. I haven't used pages at all yet as I have only been in the Mac world for a week, but have tried that template?

OP
F
Reaction score
I thought I saw a template in pages for "Quizes" or something along those lines. I haven't used pages at all yet as I have only been in the Mac world for a week, but have tried that template?

yeah, its theres but its not very useful.

I want to use openoffice, but dont know if i want x11. What is x11? any risk? what about neooffice? does that also use x11?

thanks again, so new with macs and how they work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yeah, its theres but its not very useful.

I want to use openoffice, but dont know if i want x11. What is x11? any risk? what about neooffice? does that also use x11?

thanks again, so new with macs and how they work.

Ok Now I know what you want and will do some checking for you and see what I can come up with.

I would try NeoOffice over OpenOffice as you do not need X11 and it's more OSX like. It does everything that OpenOffice does also.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok Now I know what you want and will do some checking for you and see what I can come up with.

I would try NeoOffice over OpenOffice as you do not need X11 and it's more OSX like. It does everything that OpenOffice does also.

again, thanks for the advice/help.

I will be downloading neo shortly. I liked open office, but really didnt want to hassle with the x11 stuff... since i really dont know much about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.