AudioIPCDriver.kext

Reaction score
First of all, I am running OSX.4.9 on a G5 1.8 dual.

A few days ago, I installed a software that supposedly converts real-media files into mpgs and avis.
Well the software didn't work out on my Mac and when I re-booted after un-installing it I couldn't re-boot!
After searching around on the web on another Mac I found this site
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31800
and was able to fix it so that I could boot it. (All the permissions HAD been corrupted)

I've got everything almost up and running except for one thing.
Each time I start or re-start my Mac I get an error warning
"System extension cannot be used.
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext"
was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

I would re-install if only I could figure where this thing came from in the first place!

Sorry for the long post. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, polarbear.

First of all, I searched for the file's name in Google and it seems that that file has a relation to audio and influences QuickTime, iChat, etc. I would have been tempted to tell you to use Pacifist to fish it out from your install DVD that came with your Mac but since then, there has been many updates to QuickTime and the system so I think it would mess up more than it would fix.

Not sure if reinstalling the Combo update to 10.4.9 would fix it either. It might be worth a try and reinstalling the latest version of QuickTime at the same time.

The file's path is this:

Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions ->AudioIPCDriver.kext

I suppose you didn't do a backup before installing this app? You could have easily grabbed that backed up copy and change it with the one that has gone bad now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your responce.

I reinstalled both 10.4.9 and Quick Time but with no luck.
I guess I have to try to reinstall everything audio related.
As for back-up, I used to be a big back-up buff pre-OSX but since everything seemed so stable I hadn't taken a back-up for some time.
Must get back to the habit.

Again, thank you for your help.

M

MacHeadCase

No problem at all.

If the Combo updater and QuickTime didn't change anything, here's a last ditch effort you might try — now if this doesn't work either, looks like you'll have to reinstall everything, I'm afraid — download Pacifist and install it.

Insert your Mac OS X Tiger install disk, launch Pacifist and try to find the file's package out of all the files on the DVD (or CD). It might take a while or it could be obvious.

I'm really not too fond of solutions like this because if there was, at some point an OS update that uhm updated this file, you'll be running with an older file than the system expects to find. Of course the other possibility is that nothing has updated the file since.

Anyway, it's worth a shot.

But like I said, if it doesn't work, loos like you'll have to reinstall the whole thing.

Good luck! :girl:

Reaction score
The Solution

Mac OS X is doing a strange use of file rights.

If the file rights are not what it's suppose to be, it will not load it, even if it has less restrictives rights. It's probably a security feature. As you said, you accidently messed some files rights so the following will probably solve your problem.

1. Open a Terminal (Usualy in Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app)
2. Go to the extensions folder from the terminal with the following command:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
3. Manually change the extension rights with this command:
sudo chmod -R 755 AudioIPCDriver.kext

It will ask for a Password. It's the admin password that you entered when you install your computer. The same password that you have to enter when you are installing a new application or doing updates.

The "755" number means "rwxr-xr-x", in Octal encoding. It's the correct file rights. You do not realy have to understand it.

The "-R" option means to change the rights recursively. You have to add it because th Extension file is, in fact, a folder that contains many other files.

Reboot the computer and evreything should be working as usual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC G4, 1.67 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
Ditto - worked perfectly!

I had the same problem with the Extension files and turned to this forum for a solution - and got it! No more annoying error messages at startup! (not that I restart my mac very often though...).

THANK YOU!!

I just did the command in the terminal and it worked perfectly!

Reaction score
Not working for me!?

I get to terminal type the directions to get to extensions but when trying to execute sudo..it warns me asks for pass word and wont let me typeanything!WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password: (it wont let me type here!)

Reaction score
In response to the posting directly above:

What you are seeing is the way the terminal behaves when you are entering your user account password. There is no visual feedback that your key presses are working. Just enter your password carefully and press enter key.

Now onto what has brought me to this thread today:

I am having this exact problem on a PBG4 running 10.4.11.

The process above, with changing the permissions on the kext file did not work. Still getting the message.

I have also done these things:
-checked disk for problems
-repaired permissions
-run full suit of maintenance with cocktail
-trashed kext cache files
-replaced extension with a fresh copy (from another mac with 10.4.11)
-zapped pram and danced on one leg

Nothing has fixed this.

Ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.