Help! No sound!

Reaction score
Alright, so I am a Mac newbie. I am learning but I have run into a problem. I have no sound anymore! I went to the sound options and it says "Digital Out" and for the port it says "Built-in Output" but it will not display the settings. It just says that the selected device has no output controls. It will not let me change the volume through the keyboard and on the Mac through the options. If I plug in headphones it works just fine. So, what should I do to fix my internal speakers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Go to your sound settings, and change it back to built in audio. I think that should solve it, unless something else is wrong.

M

MacHeadCase

Try the workaround that is linked in my post in that thread.

That workaround probably doesn't stick to the other question but it does with yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Should look like this

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Could you give us a snapshot of what it does say and look like? Did you try the midi thing that MacHeadCase is talking about? Everytime I have had missing sound it was due to a game that changed the Hz and once I did the Midi fix everything worked again.. I've had to do it a couple of times.

1. Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup
2. Audio Devices: Set everything to Built-in Audio
3. Audio Input: Source: Internal microphone - Format: 44100.0 Hz (2ch-16bit)
4. Audio Output: Source: internal speakers - Format: 44100.0 Hz (2ch-16bit)

That usually solves the problem.

Reaction score
Did anyone ever solve this?

The problem being describe on this thread...I am having the exact same problem and it showed up sometime in the last few weeks. Basically it appears as if the "Built-in Audio" driver has just ceased to exist. The only option is the Digital out which has no controls.

I've seen the Audio/MIDI suggestion on a few other forums and that does not work because as the poster points out, the panel simply says that output is not supported.

I have only found a few other people who have this same problem online, but no evidence that anyone has ever solved it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
I have the same problem...
After receieving a replacement unit from Apple. Right out of the box the same problem has occured. Does any one have any advice?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Look in the audio out jack on your Mac. Do you see a Red Light down the hole? If so it's stuck in Digital mode. I do remember a few people with no sound on early intel macs and they always saw the red light in the jack. Will search and see if I can find the threads. I am pretty sure someone solved it.

Edit, Read this thread. Two things came up, one try resetting the PRAM and try the other suggestion at the bottom of the 2nd page of this url.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35174&highlight=red+light

Here is a URL on how to reset the PRAM. Can't hurt to try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
yes, there is a red light... The same optical light when running xp in boot camp. I have already tried to reset the PRAM twice and no results...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
I was able to fix this problem. Spent a ton of time screwing around thinking that it was some kind of software problem, until research led me to this "red light" problem. The situation was (and several people have reported this on MacBooks) that there is a slightly faulty switch inside the mini jack that causes the system to think that something is plugged in to the nearby digital jack.

What people recommened (and worked for me) was to stick your headphone plug part way into the headphone jack and very gently wiggle it around a bit until you no longer see the red light when you pull the jack out. Its something physical with the jack itself apparently.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was able to fix this problem. Spent a ton of time screwing around thinking that it was some kind of software problem, until research led me to this "red light" problem. The situation was (and several people have reported this on MacBooks) that there is a slightly faulty switch inside the mini jack that causes the system to think that something is plugged in to the nearby digital jack.

What people recommened (and worked for me) was to stick your headphone plug part way into the headphone jack and very gently wiggle it around a bit until you no longer see the red light when you pull the jack out. Its something physical with the jack itself apparently.

That makes a lot of sense and is how phone jacks work. I am just amazed this would happen so early on in the life of the new Macs. I see it all the time in older systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I read that post eralier and tried like ****... I wonder if there's some sort of reset other then the PRAM, Any thougths?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It works! The fix is to just leave it open and on for a couple of hours and it just shuts off. I guess it true what they say... "Macs Just work"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, back again, so it's not totally fixed but I found a way to bypass it...
- plug in a usb thumb drive
- wait about 5-10 min.
- and eject the drive icon
- sound should be restored
I don't know if this is proven but every time I put my mac to sleep I have to do this and it works....
let me know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.