RAM voids applecare/warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Hello everyone. I'm just about to purchase the 2 GB upgrade set of ram from crucials website but I have one quick question.

I called Apple to ask if installing other RAM besides their rediculous $350 Apple certified would void my applecare/warranty. To my suprise they had said yes. I did not know this was true? Does anyone know any different?

So if I upgrade and want to still keep my applecare/warranty I have to buy the rediculous $350 2 GB set from Apple over the $145 2 GB set from crucial?

Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The Apple rep is wrong in this case. It is right on their own website that RAM is a Customer Installable Part (CIP). In other words, it won't void your warranty.
The warranty simply will not cover the RAM you install or any damage that might possibly ensue from using third party RAM (which isn't likely to happen).

MacBook: How to install memory

Apple Warranty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I think I would not worry too much, if it was me I would get the ram from Crucial as they are very good, if a problem developed later just remove the Crucial Ram before taking it in for service.

Chris

OP
Wobbly_Cheese
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Thanks guys! The Apple store near me worries me sometimes.

:-/

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm just about to purchase the 2 GB upgrade set of ram from crucials website but I have one quick question.

I called Apple to ask if installing other RAM besides their rediculous $350 Apple certified would void my applecare/warranty. To my suprise they had said yes. I did not know this was true? Does anyone know any different?

So if I upgrade and want to still keep my applecare/warranty I have to buy the rediculous $350 2 GB set from Apple over the $145 2 GB set from crucial?

Thanks for any help.

Why buy ram from crucial when you can get ram so much cheaper?

Ram is ram fellas, look at the specs if they match always buy cheaper
, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I thought $145. for 2 Gb was a good price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Why buy ram from crucial when you can get ram so much cheaper?

Ram is ram fellas, look at the specs if they match always buy cheaper
, peace

RAM is not RAM, no matter the price, cheaper RAM often leads to system problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
The Apple rep is wrong in this case. It is right on their own website that RAM is a Customer Installable Part (CIP). In other words, it won't void your warranty.
The warranty simply will not cover the RAM you install or any damage that might possibly ensue from using third party RAM (which isn't likely to happen).

MacBook: How to install memory

Apple Warranty

this is a great correct answer.. this thread should be closed now before any other person comes in and says " well apple told me this blah blah blah"

Reaction score
RAM is not RAM, no matter the price, cheaper RAM often leads to system problems.

Oh really, so tell me what's this famous name brand ram I just took out of my mac computer "hynix".

Get outta of here man.

My point is there are many companies who use the exact same ram & just place thier sticker on it.

Do your research , match specs, read reviews, does the company offer lifetime warranty, etc.

Base your buying options on this, I just installed 2Gb of Gskill ram for less than Crucial and my computer runs flawless in the memory department.

, peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB

True. It is highly unlikely. But if something goes wrong, you're outta luck.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Oh really, so tell me what's this famous name brand ram I just took out of my mac computer "hynix".

Get outta of here man.

My point is there are many companies who use the exact same ram & just place thier sticker on it.

Do your research , match specs, read reviews, does the company offer lifetime warranty, etc.

Base your buying options on this, I just installed 2Gb of Gskill ram for less than Crucial and my computer runs flawless in the memory department.

, peace

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree here. While I would in no way suggest not saving money by buying RAM from a major manufacturer like Crucial, Corsair, maybe Kingston vs. buying it from Apple, would never recommend saving $10-$20 buying an off-brand. You are correct that the off-brand companies do indeed buy their RAM from the same manufacturers, only you never know which product nor who the real manufacturer is. They offer the lowest prices because they shop the manufacturers and purchase the cheapest memory they can find irregardless of who the manufacturer is.

As a long time gamer, hardware enthusiast, 2 years doing tech support for both Dell and MS, spending much time on both Abit and Asus forums, the 2 biggest mistakes people make when building their own rigs is trying to skimp on 1) power supply - a big mistake here and 2) off-brand RAM. These 2 items account for more issues than I care to count.

I will say that for those not trying to squeeze the last bit of perfromance out of their rig, there is no use buying the top of the line memory. While they are not going to be the cheapest, Corsair and the other big boys in the game produce value RAM at very reasonable prices. Much of the RAM from these 3rd party suppliers is produced by the big boys either especially for them (this of course depending on the quantity of their purchase and this may be some good and decent RAM) or it is memory that "works" but does not pass muster for one reason or another and the big boys are not willing to put their name on it. Which one did you get with that 3rd party name. Afraid none of us consumers know. And yes it may work, but I can't advocate taking the chance with one of the primary pieces of hardware in your system. If your memory fails, so does your computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Thanks guys! The Apple store near me worries me sometimes.

:-/

I don't think I've ever gotten a straight answer when it comes to Apple warranty questions. Some people say replacing RAM will void the warranty, others say it won't. Some say replacing the harddrive will void the warranty, others say it won't.

Personally, I don't think it matters much either way. I upgraded both the hard drive and RAM in my Macbook, . If someone did happen to make an issue out of it, I would just re-install the stock hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can guaranteeing that replacing the RAM will not void your warranty. Anything listed as a "user replaceable part" will not void your warranty. As a matter of fact, Apple has instructions on their site for adding and replacing RAM.

I've added RAM and still had AppleCare cover issues with my system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Here's a real-life scenario that I hope clears up any confusion and guessing.

I have 2 GB of OWC memory in my MacBook. Last week, I started having a problem where the unit would not wake from sleep (a firmware fix has been issued for this), followed by the computer's making strange beeping noises. Then it went into a startup-chime loop (i.e., never making it past the startup chime-- repeatedly).

I took the unit to the local Genius Bar. It turns out I had a bad logic board, which Apple replaced free of charge under AppleCare. They were told right up front that there was 2GB of another vendor's memory in the computer, something they clearly would have seen when they took the unit apart. This did not cause a warranty issue: they repaired the computer at no charge.

In other words, adding another vendor's memory did not void my AppleCare warranty.

Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.