Which Text Editor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hey everyone, I'm a web developer and I'm looking for a cool "light" text editor to use.

I currently use Smultron and like it but I'm wondering if there is something else? I have Dreamweaver 2004 but that loading that app feels like a boat. I want a simple light text editor with color coding and possibly tag completion.

I'm looking for opinions on what you are all using out there.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, 250GB HD
Aria speed -

I also use Dreamweaver, but there are many a time where I just use TextWrangler or Nvu. Hope that might be what you are looking for in a light text editor.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks Coriolis, I'm really just looking for opinions on what people are using. I'll give Nvu a try.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Try FreeWay, but it's not free. And try Taco too. Taco is very simple and lightweight, and though it doesn't have a WYSIWYG editor it has a preview button to show it in your browser. It's free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4/450 OSX 10.4.11
There's a huge range of text editors out there
Of course there's the free one you get with every OSX install: TextEdit
Personally am a fan of SubEthaEdit though it's no longer free - if you can afford it there's BBEdit, though I don't think it's worth the money
There's also Vim if you like the vi terminal text editor (personally prefer pico so not always to my taste).

Reaction score
Here's a link to TextWranger that replaces BBEdit Lite.

Nvu is full of bugs. If you close a page, you have to quit the program to reopen it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for TextWrangler. It's free and works great for doing HTML. It's a first rate editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Smultron & TextWrangler are both in my arsenal of text editors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Black
Panic Coda

THE BEST!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
i quite like textedit. i've tried smultron and a couple others. but i'm not one for all the features when it comes to HTML, i just want a place that will let me write the code. :)
i am currently downloading textwrangler to try it out, thanks for the link brown study

EDIT::
i just tried out textwrangler, and i am going to third that vote. i fell in love with that program instantly. mainly because of that beige line that runs across, showing you what line you are one. That is probably one of the handiest things i've ever seen in an app.

Reaction score
I read about a similiar topic on this forum and a user suggested TextMate.

I've been using it ever since, and scored 100% on my first programming test haha. Sorry, had to gloat.

It was a live in class test, surprised the supervisor allowed me to use the MacBook.

TextMate:
-Free download
-Colour code
-Light weight

It's a simple editor that works for me. Haven't explored too many editors, but if there's a better one I'd like to try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.2Ghz, 4GB Memory, 120GB HDD, LCD Display, OS X Tiger
TextMate is one of the best, but it costs. TextWrangler is one of the best free apps. I personally use Coda or TextMate. I've used most (including Smultron) and absolutely loved TextMate once I tried it. Coda is an all-in-one package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I use TacoHTML editor. Has color separation and is pretty nice for the ASP (gasp!) pages I make. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.