PowerMac G5 RAM Installation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
So I'm having some odd occurrences while installing new RAM into my G5.

I originally had 512 mb and installed an additional 512. However, my System Profiler still shows my Memory at 512 mb.

Also, my system will only boot up if I leave the original RAM cards in their original spots. Otherwise, when I turn the machine on the light on both the computer and the monitor will simply blink twice over.

My question is why does my System Profiler still show my Memory at 512 mb? I'm fairly certain the installed RAM was good being that I just opened it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
First question is the additional memory 2 stick of 256 equaling 512 or is it 1 stick of 512?

On the Powermac G5 you will add memory sticks in pairs. Meaning if you are adding an additional 512, then you need to sticks at 256.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, then your system should have come with 2 256MB memory stick also. There should be two banks for the memory to be inserted into. Since you now have four memory sticks, two will go into the one bank and the remaining two will go into the other bank.

Will have to get back to you on the slot numbers, to use. if you did not take out the original memory, just place one behind each of the original memory stick.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This link may help some.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0
yahtzee!

i wasn't aware that the chips had to go in a certain position, i have 8 slots and had both of them on the same side of the originals.

thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.