Fast User Switiching for Single User?

J

jebradfo

I have been creating multiple user accounts for myself via the FUS. I typically have to jump from project to project during the day and have a variety of different applications and windows open for each. It was getting old having to constantly expand/collapse and reposition all my windows. I have a main account for email, iChat, iTunes, etc. and then additional ones for the 3-4 projects I am currently working. I have moved my project folders into the Shared folder to make them easily accesbile from multiple accounts. Seems like this might be a good use of the FUS for a single user, but time will tell how effective this is for me.

The main problem/issue right now is that when I switch out of my main account, I loose sound from iTunes (it pauses) and iChat disconnects. Any way to correct this? Also, I cannot have multiple iTunes open simultaneously. Why not? Any way to fix this? Seems that if other applications can continue to function, these should too.

Thanks-

OP
M

Mr.Curlynose1

It stinks that they made iChat that way, I don't know why they did that.

iTunes I actually think is a good thing, so that if you leave your music playing someone else doesn't have to turn it off before going to their account.

And by the way, it's not very hard to have all your stuff open on one account. Why don't you just do that?

OP
J

jebradfo

Mr.Curlynose1 said:
It stinks that they made iChat that way, I don't know why they did that.

iTunes I actually think is a good thing, so that if you leave your music playing someone else doesn't have to turn it off before going to their account.

And by the way, it's not very hard to have all your stuff open on one account. Why don't you just do that?

The main reason for the multiple accounts is the Dock just gets to cluttered. A multilayer desktop and/or Dock would also fix the problem, but I have not seen any software to enable this though.

Understand the rationale on the iTunes, but that should be a default setting with an option for changing it enabled in the iTunes preferences or account settings.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
There is an app that does this, I forget the name though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Check macupdate for "Virtual Desktops" or anything with those keywords in them.. That should get you several different programs that will do exactly what you are wanting.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Murlyn said:
Check macupdate for "Virtual Desktops" or anything with those keywords in them.. That should get you several different programs that will do exactly what you are wanting.
That's it! I think...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.