Networking

C

Carl Swan

hi guys

i need to know if it's possible to network my pc ( windows xp pro ) with my apple mac G5 dual 2ghz ( osx )

if this is possible what will i need to network them together sharing monitor ( apple 17" pro ), printer ( epson stylus cx6400 ), speakers ( harmon/kardon soundsticks 2 ) and internet connection ( broadband )

many thanks
Carl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Networking is easy. In system preferences you will find the necessary sharing options. I suggest networking the computers to each other directly and off the intenet ;)

OP
E

.emo.

.go to you xp machine and go into my computer.drive you want to share.properties and make sure sharing is checked.you can select more in depth setting there as well.

.then go to the mac and select the sharing options your want.ftp.windows.mac filesharing ect.to connect to the windows comp or any computer on a network.go to the finder-go-connect to server(apple+K) and then youll have to know the ip address of the machine and type smb://(whatever the ip is)you can find that out in the netorwk neighborhood props.

.to my knowledge sharing a monitor and speakers can not be done through a network.im almost positive.you can buy switch for the monitor i think but i dont know if they make an adc switch to connect to PCs cause thats apples own connection.

i hope i helped some.:)

Carl Swan said:
hi guys

i need to know if it's possible to network my pc ( windows xp pro ) with my apple mac G5 dual 2ghz ( osx )

if this is possible what will i need to network them together sharing monitor ( apple 17" pro ), printer ( epson stylus cx6400 ), speakers ( harmon/kardon soundsticks 2 ) and internet connection ( broadband )

many thanks
Carl

OP
C

Chamorro

Carl Swan said:
hi guys

many thanks
Carl

Sounds like you want a KVM switch, not a Network. I'm not too familiar w/ KVM's, but I'm pretty sure they'll work cross-platform b/c:
monitor is VGA (cross-platform)
printer is USB (cross-platform) or Serial (can buy USB adaptor)
Speakers use mini-jacks or USB (cross-platform)
Internet uses ethernet (cross-platform)

OP
C

Carl Swan

Sounds like you want a KVM switch, not a Network. I'm not too familiar w/ KVM's, but I'm pretty sure they'll work cross-platform b/c:
monitor is VGA (cross-platform)
printer is USB (cross-platform) or Serial (can buy USB adaptor)
Speakers use mini-jacks or USB (cross-platform)
Internet uses ethernet (cross-platform)

* do you have any links to where i can buy this

OP
C

Chamorro

I know IOGEAR makes KVM's....you might also want to try searching on Amazon for under KVM switch. Sorry, I haven't done much research into these.

OP
C

Carl Swan

will i be able to share everything on the list though

eg.

harmon kardon soundsticks 2 - usb
epson stylus cx6400 - usb
internet - ethernet
monitor - apple connector ( don't know what it's called )

OP
C

Chamorro

That's where you'll need to do a little research....but I know that they'll support monitor/keyboard/speakers, and should work for the printer, since the keyboard/mice are probably USB too. If you don't find one that supports a printer, you can look into the little USB printer sharers that are out there...2 ports in, 1 port out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.