iMac HD replacement guide

OP
B

bruceg

Badger said:
For those of you interested in replacing the hard drive in a slot-loading iMac here is a link to an illustraited, step-by-step guide.
http://www.appletalk.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=436

Badger

I am following these instructions and have gotten to the part about taking the screws out for the hard drive casing itself:

"Now that is done it's time to unscrew the hard disk.

Unscrew the four screws that hold the hard disk in place. I suggest loosening the four screws before undoing them completely (it makes it easier if they are tight.) Unplug all the cables and the hard disk should simply slide out. "

I bought the smallest screwdriver head I could find (0 x 2-1/2), but it doesn't look to be small enough. Anyone else have trouble getting this part to come off?

-Bruce Gilbert

OP
B

bruceg

well, I think I have the process down but the four screws holding the HD in place at least on mine , the screws heads are completely flat against the metal housing. I've tried many different size screwdrivers, but cannot get them loose/ I have a iMac DV, the one with the clear background cover. Not sure if that one is different than the others. Anyway, I had no problem getting the other screws off, but these four are definitely differerent.

OP
T

Tony3ts

I'm not a techie so I better be careful about handing out advice. I think you just have well bedded-in screws. My first instinct would be downward pressure as you twist but then you'd have to be wary of damaging the HD. Perhaps a bit of upward pressure on the frame that holds the hard disc/DVD player at the same time? The other possible solution is counter-intuitive (at least that's how I see it). Use a bigger screwdriver head not a smaller one. It gives better grip.
My two imacs are the clear case (graphite) and the flower-power. Managed an HD swap both times. Best wishes TONY

OP
B

Badger

bruceg said:
I am following these instructions and have gotten to the part about taking the screws out for the hard drive casing itself:

"Now that is done it's time to unscrew the hard disk.

Unscrew the four screws that hold the hard disk in place. I suggest loosening the four screws before undoing them completely (it makes it easier if they are tight.) Unplug all the cables and the hard disk should simply slide out. "

I bought the smallest screwdriver head I could find (0 x 2-1/2), but it doesn't look to be small enough. Anyone else have trouble getting this part to come off?

-Bruce Gilbert

The Apple service manual lists a #1 Phillips screwdriver for these screws. Using a smaller one could damage the screw heads. I know from my own experience that it may be harder than you expect the first time these screws are removed.
Badger

OP
B

bruceg

Badger said:
The Apple service manual lists a #1 Phillips screwdriver for these screws. Using a smaller one could damage the screw heads. I know from my own experience that it may be harder than you expect the first time these screws are removed.
Badger

well, I was able to get the top two screws off, the bottom ones are still being a pain and will not budge. I will keep trying. I guess all four need to come off to get the old HD out?

-Bruce G.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.