Is the Macbook sufficient for...

Reaction score
I'm considering switching to a Mac. I use my computer mostly for Web development (Ruby on Rails, PHP, Dreamweaver, Photoshop). I have a $1400 spending limit at CircuitCity, so the best mac I can get is the following:

Apple® 2.0GHz MacBook (MA700LL/A)

APL MA700LLA
• 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
• Burn DVDs and CDs
• 13.3-inch widescreen

• Apple Remote
• 1GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in iSight camera

From your experience, what are the limits with this mac? Like I said, I will mostly be doing developing and maybe a little photo/video editing for fun. Nothing serious as in making an awesome movie or anything will be done.

More specifically,...

does anyone have the 13.3-inch widescreen? I'm wondering if that is large enough? I will be using this notebook as my primary computer. Maybe I should go check it out at the circuit city store myself.

It seems like the 1 GB RAM will be sufficient for me (right?), considering I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1100 w/256 MB RAM right now.

I can get a Vista notebook for a little cheaper, with more RAM and a wider screen, but should I?

Thanks.

Reaction score
I'm guessing by your post that you have a store credit or something at CC. If not check out the apple refurb site you can get a low end refurbed mac book pro for $1599. If not the main difference between the macbook and Macbook pro (MBP) the MBP has a video card and the macbook shares the ram to run the graphics. The 13.3 screen is a bit small for my taste but people like it fir how portable it is. If you only want to dabble in video editing the macbook should be fine. also look at your local compusa they have macs and they are closing alot of their stores. If you wondering if you should even buy a mac i say yes yes yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Vista is actually one of the main reasons I switched to Mac. I dont have it yet, its on its way in the mail right now, but I hear dreamweaver runs very well on it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
does anyone have the 13.3-inch widescreen? I'm wondering if that is large enough? I will be using this notebook as my primary computer. Maybe I should go check it out at the circuit city store myself.

I think so. Prior to my MacBook Pro (disclaimer: it has a 15.4" display), I used an ultra-portable Dell Inspiron 700m with a 12" screen. Once you get used to it, you'll love the portability and the fact that it fits just about anywhere (including tray tables in coach). Obviously, this is a very subjective matter. Definitely see it in person.

It seems like the 1 GB RAM will be sufficient for me (right?), considering I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1100 w/256 MB RAM right now.

1GB is the sweet spot IMO, Windows or Mac.

I can get a Vista notebook for a little cheaper, with more RAM and a wider screen, but should I?

Thanks.

Entirely subjective. Do you like Windows? Have no problems with it? If the answers is "yes", then go with a Windows machine. No need to re-learn a whole new operating system and buy all new software if Windows floats your boat.

If, however, you are sick of running endless maintenance, troubleshooting driver issues and buying the latest and greatest in anti-virus suites, then consider a Mac. Worst case scenario, if you find you just can't live without a particular Windows application, you can always run Windows on it either in a virtual machine (w/ Parallels) or via Bootcamp.

For me, Mac was the right choice. I'll never buy another Windows machine, unless it's for gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Since your requirements aren't too high, it would seem as though a Macbook would be a perfect fit for you, at least when it comes to specifications.

As for other things like screen size and the feel of the machine, I suggest checking it out in person before making a decision. I personally find the screen to be just perfect especially considering how portable it is. The resolution more than makes up for the fact that it's only 13.3 inches. I also prefer the Macbook's keyboard to the Pro version's. I think the former accommodates my large hands much better than the cramped Macbook Pro keyboard. I also think the MBP's keyboard feels "mushy".

The Macbook is a great little device. Check it out, I'm sure you'll love it :black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.