Possible to put Mac OS on dell computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a newbie question but I was unable to find an answer through Google. Is it possible to wipe Windows off a Dell desktop and install Mac OS on it? Or is it possible to build a Mac computer and if so, what requirements would you need?

M

MacHeadCase

It violates Apple's EULA, hence it is against forum rules to discuss this. You'll have to google to find your answer, I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
aka its illegal buy a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, you can't build a custom Mac using off the shelf parts, and No you can't put OS X on your Dell. If you want a Mac, and want to use Mac OS X, you need to buy a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ok, first of all, it is TECHNICALLY possible for you to install OS X on a non-Apple machine. The problem is like MHC said, it is a violation of Apple's EULA and you wouldn't be legally allowed to install it.

The only people who are sanctioned to run OS X on a PC are Mac developers, and even that is strictly limited as they are given developer boxes by Apple rather than making their own machines.

Another issue you may face is the fact that it's a total pain to install OS X on a non-Apple computer. If you wanted to build the computer from scratch, you would have a very narrow list of parts you could choose from to ensure 100% compatibility. Even then, there are several other issues to consider.

So you can essentially say goodbye to the notion of installing OS X on a Dell computer.

Reaction score
MODS: please close and delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.