Programming on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", 2GB RAM
Hi Everyone,
I just recently got my first Apple, a Macbook Pro. I am used to programming through linux shell, so I was wondering if my Macbook has any built in compilers such as g++ or gcc? I am totally new to macs, so any info would be very useful.

Thanks,
Chris3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It sure does, and it even has X11. See your Install DVD, and scroll down to the Optional Installs area. You should be able to get both gcc and X11 there.

I have personally done lots of Terminal.app (a souped up bash shell) programming using this stuff. I basically ported several of my Linux xterm/console apps over to Mac for Terminal. See my web site, www.campbell-tx.net, and check out the Mac OS X page.

BTW, Welcome to Mac Forums Chris3D!!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Just to add that gcc is installed as part of the XCode package install.

It is best to do the complete install to get all the libraries and then if you need the space delete the examples and any other stuf you don't need.

After the XCode install everything will be in a Developer folder in the root of your main harddrive partition (i.e the system disk).

You don't need X11 if you are coding for OS X but it may come in handy if you want to build/run any Linux Open Source Applications.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.