I may have to get my iMac sooner than I had hoped, hard drive question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
My family's Dell e510 is officially running on it's last leg. I was really hoping to wait for Leopard before I got an iMac but unless I want my whole family using my MacBook, that really isn't an option anymore. So I'm figuring I'll use my college discount and talk my parents into getting a 20" iMac. I think they'll really take advantage of the iLife suite and, as I had mentioned in a previous thread, I want to get a 500 gig Hard Drive so I don't have to worry about space for all of the media, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary to upgrade to the 500 gig or if it's overkill. I'm guessing they'll have at least 20 hours of video on there, as well as about a 10,000 song music library that I expect will keep growing, all of the pre-installed software, AOL, Firefox, a couple of non-MMORPG games that don't have very good graphics, and several other programs that I can't think of right now but don't consume very much hard disk space. I'm thinking the 250 gig HD would be sufficient but what do you all think? Should I stay with 250 or step it up to 500?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Personally? If you (they?!) can afford the 500G, do it as a long-term investment.

Reaction score
I have a 500g and with my 13000 songs, pre-loaded software, and a few short movies in iLife i'm up to 150g out of 500. It is really nice to just keep dumping stuff on there and not be near full. If you are only waiting until leopard comes out then I would buy now, if you have a mac you'll have to buy the family pack anyway.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just don't get lazy and not back it up if you have all that space.

that would be a LOT of data to lose if you ate a HD. ;)

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Personally? If you (they?!) can afford the 500G, do it as a long-term investment.

They means my family. Don't worry, I don't have multiple personalities.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.