Memory Test Utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
I just bought a 1GB Crucial memory stick for my 2 week old MBP. I installed it last Wednesday. Everything worked fine until yesterday (Sunday).

Three times I came back to my MBP to find an error message saying I had to reboot (I think it is Mac's equivalent to the MS BSOD). I am wondering if the new memory is the cause. I have run Techtool Deluxe (included with my AppleCare) to test the memory. It did not find any problems. Is there another utility I can test the memory with?

If the memory isn't the cause, what else should I look at? The only thing I did differently when the problem occurred was to leave preview open with the Final Cut Express manual loaded. Seti@home was the only other app that was active (starts after 5 minutes of inactivity), but I have been using that without incident since the day I bought my MPB. In fact, Seti@home has run every night since I purchased the MBP.

TIA for any advice/comments.

Reaction score
Try the free Rember.
Rember is a GUI wrapper for the Memtest program. This will allow the user to select the number of test loops, as well as the amount of memory to test. There is a 'Log' tab that will allow the user to monitor memory testing. The user can toggle a 'verbose' switch to limit the amount of output. Allows user to quit Finder and other applications.

OP
wot_fan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Thanks for the information :).

I ran Rember and had it test all of my memory 3 times. All tests were passed.

Anyone have any ideas why I had the problem I described in my first post?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.