How Sims 2 is doing on my MacBook

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share since the matter is constantly discussed. I got the MacBook new last year, when I put the game in it had 20 gb available. Processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo. 512 MB 667 MHz memory.

Okay, the installation took about six minutes. I've been playing it for a week now, and the only slowdown I've noticed is the loading time (when it's moving from neighborhood to lot, and such). It sorta reminds me of when the first Sims game came out and I played it on my computer back then--slow, but not really (we're just spoiled now, I mean.) The graphics were automatically on 'low', but I didn't even know that for three days, and I was amazed from the start at the quality of them. The colors are bright and the Sims' movement is fluid. Every once in a while the music cuts for less than a second, but it doesn't affect the gameplay and it's rare enough that I barely notice. So, that's how it's doing--surprisingly well. My MacBook isn't that built-up (other than what automatically comes with it), and was pretty much the cheapest you could buy, and this game is doing great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
That is good to hear. I was thinking of buying this game.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, really good to hear. should be fine on my 2.0Ghz core duo with 1Gb of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
my wife is a sims 2 addict.. it works great on her 1.67ghz PB 1gb ram.. one down fall is the load times are pretty slow. I wonder if we bump her ram up another gig if it would help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
120 GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz Core2Duo, white MB
Question - are you running the mac version of Sims 2 as opposed to booting through BootCamp/Parallels)?

This has been my biggest concern with getting the MB (I'm thinking of switching PC->Mac), I've heard games don't do as well graphics-wise on the Mac. I'm not an intense gamer, I just have a few PC games (Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3) that I want to play through BootCamp. Considering my current computer won't even load RCT3 because the graphics card is so old (I made the mistake of buying it, not knowing what my GFX card specs were), and I can't even play the Sims 2 because it runs THAT slow (I'm talking a frame every couple seconds), I'm not overly concerned with it being perfect, and most likely I'll have the graphics quality on the lowest level, which is what I'm used to anyway.

So just hoping that if I make the PC->Mac jump, that my few games will work alright! But good to hear yours does!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Question - are you running the mac version of Sims 2 as opposed to booting through BootCamp/Parallels)?

This has been my biggest concern with getting the MB (I'm thinking of switching PC->Mac), I've heard games don't do as well graphics-wise on the Mac. I'm not an intense gamer, I just have a few PC games (Sims 2, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3) that I want to play through BootCamp. Considering my current computer won't even load RCT3 because the graphics card is so old (I made the mistake of buying it, not knowing what my GFX card specs were), and I can't even play the Sims 2 because it runs THAT slow (I'm talking a frame every couple seconds), I'm not overly concerned with it being perfect, and most likely I'll have the graphics quality on the lowest level, which is what I'm used to anyway.

So just hoping that if I make the PC->Mac jump, that my few games will work alright! But good to hear yours does!

This is not to put you off, but if you plan on doing all your gaming through Bootcamp(Windows) why not just get a new windows machine?

Reaction score
I disagree, I've just made the PC->Mac switch and couldn't be happier :D. I've installed XP via boot camp to play some of my old PC games, which run very well on my MacBook.

I use OSX for everything else as its superior to Windows. If games were easly obtainable and cheeper for OSX I would buy those instead and not bother with XP.

I would only recomend a PC to some who is a hardcore gamer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.