• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Won't load load video

Reaction score
All of a sudden my G5 IMac has stopped loading any videos. All that happens when I click to download is the spinning ball. Won't stop spinning and only can restart to stop the spinning ball.

What has happened?

Thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Can you give us an example link?

OP
W
Reaction score
thx for the reply. Noticed first when I went to dowload a wmv file from my email. Then another and so on. Not only wmv. Would it help to reinstall mac OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Can you tell us more? What browser are you having this trouble with? Could you point us at a link that fails?

BTW, I have had similar issues with Safari when I click on links to MPGs, but it is inconsistent? Sometimes I get the spinning beachball, sometimes it works. I am still trying to figure out what causes the one behaviour vs. the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yep, if it is any help, same behavior here, using Safari. Spinning beachball.

I tried this link out on Firefox on my SuSE Linux 9.3 and it plays just fine. It is a WMV file - very nice video of a world champion kite exhibition.

I am stumped. Any ideas anyone? Perhaps there is a way to stop Safari and/or Firefox from attempting to play the embedded media? Can this be disabled somehow? Then you could at least save off the file and play it in Windows Media Player for Flip4Mac or some other.

BTW, this is not WMV specific. I have identical issues with some MPGs, per my earlier post. When I find the next one (it seems erratic) I will post it as well.

OP
W
Reaction score
Seems like it might have started right after I did the recent firmware update. Any coincidence?

M

MacHeadCase

I have a iMac G5, did all the latest updates and I can play videos just fine. I can play the video you linked us too and I hear Delibes' Lakhmé song. Nifty video, btw.

Download MainMenu and clear out the browsers caches to see if that wouldn't solve it.

Edited to add:

Just want to say that the video plays through Flip4Mac so if you don't have that installed, that may be the reason why it won't play for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.