• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't play THIS youtube video all the way through??

Reaction score
I'm a new mac owner but this This is an extremely strange problem I've been having. I am trying to watch this youtube video all the way through http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVH5rrqkFY

But when I try, I get about 3/4's done and my browser shuts down "unexpectedly". I've tried uninstalling and re-installing flash player. I've tried in Opera, Firefox, Safari and Camino. No luck!

Also, I experience problems where stuff freezes up a lot and applications shut down (every once in a while) randomly (perhaps just buggy programs). Do other people have these problems?

Can you play that video all the way through?? If so, what should I do?

Also, how stable are macs really? This is kind of why I switched! :(

Ugh frustrating...Do I have a defected mac?

Reaction score
i dont think you should be that frustrated over not being able to watch one video on youtube.

i played the clip and it unexpectedly quit my firefox as well. i don't think you should be worried about your Mac having problems, if you are basing your problems on just that one video.

and about the apps that freeze a lot and unexpectedly quit... do you keep track of which applications do it ? is it always the same one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I had the same problem. I'm going to try to try it again and skip over the spot not working.

Great video though! I'd love to give it a shot myself. I saw the guys from the show "Mythbusters" do a similar setup for a car test not safe for even a stunt driver.

It kinda reminded me of when I was younger I had a friend who owned a junk yard and we would get worthless cars working well enough to drive to do everything from normal oval racing, to "car tag" to plan old demolition derby. It was a blast; ten times more fun than go-karts and 100 times better than any video game! Nothing like hoping in a real car and just smashing it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and MacBook Pro
You do not have to be worried not able to watch one youtube movie. MacBooks are very stable and Mac OS X is really a stable operating system. As usually, there can be a flaw in the video file making your computer to crash.

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, well thanks guys... I guess it's some sort of flash/youtube problem. Strange...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am going to try it on a PC. Will get back later. I watch 100's of music videos on youtube weekly and have never had one do that even with Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
why did it have to be a problem with a TopGear episode? that show is awesome

(obviously I had the same problem)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One thing to note with most any type of video or audio file: (and this holds true for CD's and DVD's also) when you notice a file have problems playing through in the same place, almost everytime the issue will be the file itself, not your hardware nor your software.

With CD's and DVD's; when you notice one machine will not play through a spot on the disk while another will, this typically indicates a bad pressing and some players can read through that data better than others.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One thing to note with most any type of video or audio file: (and this holds true for CD's and DVD's also) when you notice a file have problems playing through in the same place, almost everytime the issue will be the file itself, not your hardware nor your software.

With CD's and DVD's; when you notice one machine will not play through a spot on the disk while another will, this typically indicates a bad pressing and some players can read through that data better than others.

Very well said and very true. I run into that all the time, especially your 2nd example.

Reaction score
Why not just downloading it? Yep it can be done. Even Google videos can be DL'ed. Try that method.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.