Why wouldn't I just buy a DVI to HDMi lead?

Reaction score
I am considering buying an Apple TV. However, all the files I would like to stream are on just one machine (an iMAC), which is located 4 metres from the TV.
The TV has a spare HDMi socket. Is there any real benefit to apple TV? Is there any difference in viewing experience compared to a DVI-HDMi lead and my itunes remote?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I'm assuming the AppleTV takes out the problem of resolution settings and making everything show up correctly....but I could be wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, no, there's really nothing special about an AppleTV that you couldn't manage on your own with a computer. The AppleTV is essentially a glorified "cable" that streams video from computers around your house to your TV.

The AppleTV runs on a slightly modified version of Front Row. So you wouldn't really be missing much on the user interface aspect of the AppleTV. It also comes with the exact same white remote as most Macs.

I suggest connecting your iMac to the TV and then using Front Row. You'll not only save money, but also any hassles from streaming video over a wireless connection.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice. It did seem a bit pointless when I took a second look at it. So, a cable it is then!
Thanks.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi Again.

Well, I bought a mini-dvi to DVI convertor and a DVI to HDMi cable and the screen is fine.
However, there is no sound. Is this just a configuration setting, - or does the Mac Mini-DVI port not provide sound?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
DVI is a video only port, it will not provide sound - has nothing to do with the Mac Mini
HDMI is the only port at this time that will provide sound along with video

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
DVI = Digital Video Interface

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's not looking good for Apple TV. I think a recent Cnet review summed it up best. It basically pointed out all the flaws, but in the end, mentioned that this is Apple's "first" crack at the product. Hopefully there will be improvements. On the other hand, iPod was their first attempt at an Mp3 player and XBox was Microsoft's first try at a gaming console.

OP
H
Reaction score
DVI is a video only port, it will not provide sound - has nothing to do with the Mac Mini
HDMI is the only port at this time that will provide sound along with video

Thanks. I suppose I should have known that. Sorry. I'm a bit new to the world of Mac and I've got a bit to learn. I have noticed that my HD tv still produces rather a grainy picture, - even wi my new DVI-HDMi lead. I expected it to be similar to the mac screen. Probably too-high an expectation!

Thanks for everyone's help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks. I suppose I should have known that. Sorry. I'm a bit new to the world of Mac and I've got a bit to learn. I have noticed that my HD tv still produces rather a grainy picture, - even wi my new DVI-HDMi lead. I expected it to be similar to the mac screen. Probably too-high an expectation!

Maybe - I had high expectations also. At least, I was hoping it would be as good as my XP box which has been connected to an HDTV rather than a monitor for about a year now. No dice. Movies look great, but text is just plain, well, bad.

Don't know what size TV you're connecting yours up to, but keep in mind, your HDTV has a vertical resolution of only either 720 or if you have one of this years models maybe 1080. The little 15" MBP screen is 900 while most any decent computer monitor at 20" will be 1200 and 30" monitors are 1600. So we still have big differences between TV and monitor displays.

Have only hooked up my MBP via DVI / HDMI since I'm using my only DVI / VGA cable on my main box because Linux does not work with HDMI. With OS X in the house now, really don't think I'll be using Linux any more so I'll switch cables around and try the DVI/VGA cable on the MBP to see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Thanks for everyone's help.

That's strange, my PPC Mac Mini gives a pretty good picture on my HD TV (it is 1080p native though!) using both DVI->HDMI and DVI->VGA inputs.

What you may have is the TVs own "Image Improvement" functions switched on, try it with them off.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.