G4 12'' keyboard and screen dead pixel

H

hen163

hiya, I bought a G4 12'' ibook about a week ago, and I just realised that the space bar of the keyboard is a little raised on the right so the space bar appears not 100% parallel(lower on the left and higher on the right).

I wonder if this is common. I removed the keyboard once earlier in order to add ram. I cant remember if the space bar was already like that when it's new or the problem was caused when I added ram.

Also, I found one dead pixel on upper left of the screen, but it's not very visible. I wonder if I need to send it to Apple for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
hen163 said:
hiya, I bought a G4 12'' ibook about a week ago, and I just realised that the space bar of the keyboard is a little raised on the right so the space bar appears not 100% parallel(lower on the left and higher on the right).

I wonder if this is common. I removed the keyboard once earlier in order to add ram. I cant remember if the space bar was already like that when it's new or the problem was caused when I added ram.

Also, I found one dead pixel on upper left of the screen, but it's not very visible. I wonder if I need to send it to Apple for repair.

My keyboard is parallel, so you might want to try to make sure that it's snapped in on both sides, and that the keyboard is installed properly. As for the pixel, you can try gently massaging it to see if it "wakes up". There is no other way to fix it besides replacing the screen, and Apple won't replace your screen because of a single dead pixel (unless of course you're paying for it). A single pixel is considered well within acceptable QC tolerances. On a related note my girlfriend's family had a PC system built that included a flat panel display. The original display had 2 dead pixels, and somehow, the individual that built it exchanged their display for a new one, only to learn that this new one also has a dead pixel. I recall reading something from Apple where they stated that they have dead pixel "limits", and if every display that had a single dead pixel was rejected for use in their systems, it would drive up the cost significantly.

OP
H

hen163

Padawan said:
My keyboard is parallel, so you might want to try to make sure that it's snapped in on both sides, and that the keyboard is installed properly. As for the pixel, you can try gently massaging it to see if it "wakes up". There is no other way to fix it besides replacing the screen, and Apple won't replace your screen because of a single dead pixel (unless of course you're paying for it). A single pixel is considered well within acceptable QC tolerances. On a related note my girlfriend's family had a PC system built that included a flat panel display. The original display had 2 dead pixels, and somehow, the individual that built it exchanged their display for a new one, only to learn that this new one also has a dead pixel. I recall reading something from Apple where they stated that they have dead pixel "limits", and if every display that had a single dead pixel was rejected for use in their systems, it would drive up the cost significantly.

I have tried to reinstall the keyboard a few number of times, but still the same problem, any ideas for fixing it?

I know it's not really a big problem, but every time when I look at it, I feel a little uncomfortable because I was expecting it's a laptop with perfect design.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
hen163 said:
I have tried to reinstall the keyboard a few number of times, but still the same problem, any ideas for fixing it?

I know it's not really a big problem, but every time when I look at it, I feel a little uncomfortable because I was expecting it's a laptop with perfect design.

Thanks

As long as the tabs at the front end (near the trackpad) are in their slots and the two spring latches are also in their slots, the keyboard is probably installed correctly. When you push the spacebar completely down, is it level? And how uneven is it when you look at it. I looked at mine today again, and it looks like it's possible very slightly uneven, but only by a small fraction of a mm if it is.

OP
H

hen163

Padawan said:
As long as the tabs at the front end (near the trackpad) are in their slots and the two spring latches are also in their slots, the keyboard is probably installed correctly. When you push the spacebar completely down, is it level? And how uneven is it when you look at it. I looked at mine today again, and it looks like it's possible very slightly uneven, but only by a small fraction of a mm if it is.

the space bar is even when I press it completely down, and I agree it's only slightly uneven, about 1mm raised on the right. I also found some ibook photos from Internet, it seems that most of them have the same problem as mine. so I guess it's normal.

Just dont know why this would happen in Apple, my previous 2 PC laptops dont have such problems, and Apple's selling point is their perfect design.

anyway, this is not a big problem, although it is noticeable for me. Thanks for your time.

OP
T

TylerMoney

hmm..I'd call apple about the keyboard; they'll probably replace or fix that...as for the dead pixel...I think you have to message it counter clock wise gently and it should wake up...many do anywho.

OP
S

s3pt1k

Keyboards on both of my iBooks have been slightly raised, I've had no problems with them; none at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.