I renamed my home folder, now everytime I restart, OSX creates a new one

Reaction score
I'm running OS X 10.4.9 on a macbook w/ 2GHz intel duo core. I recently renamed my home folder, which was fine, for a while. Then a few hours back, I started up only to discover that much to my distress, I seemed to have been restored to factory defaults and a fresh Mac OS install, without gaining any hdd space. Upon some poking around, I found that this is luckily not the case, but instead, for some unknown reason, every time I restart a new home folder is created, with the old being left as just another user folder. Thus, all my old files remain under another home folder, and previous restarts had been labeled as Mark 1, Mark 2, etc. Why would this have occurred? Any help with breaking this cycle would be wildly appreciated, as it would save me a trip to the genius bar. Thanks in advance, for any help you can offer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Intel core duo - iBook G4
Try to reverse the folder you renamed, to its original name.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.