Swapped a new Hardrive -- Can't install OSX??

Reaction score
I purchased a new Hitachi 60GB drive to replace the one that went dead in in my Powerbook G4 1.67GHz.

I popped in a 10.4 install disc and when I get to the "Select Destination" step I can pick a volume, nothing is there!

I go to Disc Utility and I can see the Hitachi Travelstar there but I can't do anything w/ it. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Load Disk Utility and select Erase, and be sure to format it as Mac OS Extended I belive it is. It probably isn't properly formatted.

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a powerbook g4 1ghz the screen of this power was damage so i bought another screen and I installed by my self the powerbook starts fine so i begun to put everything back but when i was putting the hard drive this fell down i pick up and put the hard drive on the powerbook and this doens't show the hard drive and a sound comes from the speakers like tttttrrrrrrrrtttttrrrrrrttttrttrrtrtrtrt but i put a headphone and sound is nice when the powerbook starts i do several things so i put my mac dvd to see whats going on and I select the start up disk but only show network and mac os dvd the hard drive doesn't show nut I put the hard drive by USB and it show a Funji Harddrive
I changed the logic board and the hard drive connector but I'm steel the any Ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I am new to Macs also, but I believe that with the OSX install disk in the drive reboot holding the C key. This should take you to the option menu and just follow the step from tere for disk utility.....I haven't had to do this myself yet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
StretchR: how is he meant to do this when he can't even load OSX????? haha

The OSX CD/DVD boots, you go to the menu on the CD and run the Disc Utility. You do not need to be in OSX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.