HP scanner and i-mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i-mac dual-core 2.16Ghz 24inch, Macbook 2.4Ghz alu, 27" iMac Core 2 Duo 3.06Ghz
I have just become one of the converted and everything seems to be working on the mac apart from my scanner. I have an old HP scanjet 4470c that I want to connect to the mac but their:eek:neye: is no driver for OSX. Has anybody any suggestions. I have tried the so called customer support of HP but have received no answer from them (2 weeks has passed by with only a customer survey as reaction). Is there an alternatieve driver for this scanner or do I have to buy a new one?

M

MacHeadCase

If you can't find drivers for your scanner that work, you might want to take a look at VueScan. I'm not sure if it will allow Mac OS X to use it though. This is what they have on the website:

The following scanners are supported on Windows only. You need to first install the HP software before VueScan will work with these scanners. VueScan uses HP-supplied libraries to talk to these scanners, and these libraries get installed when you install the HP scanner software.

And in the list that follows the HP Scanjet 4470c is there. VueScan is not free though, it is shareware. You could always download it and give it a whirl with the trial version or email the developer and ask.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I had a similar problem just before Christmas the Drivers for OS X were available but you had to pay for them the XP drivers were free!!. Ended up using my wifes Dell laptop...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the feedback peoples. It seems that HP doesn't like the mac. My scanner is so old that there are no drivers available for osx.
What will happen if I plug the scanner into the mac without loading any HP software. Will osx recognize the scanner as generic?

When I bought my i-mac it was bundled with an epson all-in-one but that is now in my wifes office two floors up. Can I make that a network scanner without having to buy airport express?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
When I plugged in the HP scanner I had nothing happened....I even tried it with Vuescan without any joy... Sorry to say

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have an old HP 2200C scanner.
I use VueScan and it works like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must admit I had had my iMac only a month when I tried the scanner. I tried to use the scanner on my intel iMac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just plugged in the scanner and ...... Vuescan warned me that this scanner cannot be used on the mac. Back to the drawing board!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.