iMac boot from networked pc dvd drive?

Eif

Reaction score
just wondered if this was feasible? im new to macs, and wondered if i can network it to my pc (?), and then boot it from the pc dvd drive to install new OS ? (g3 iMac has no dvd drive)

OP
E

Eif

Reaction score
well..made some progress, have got the iMac and pc networked, and can see shared folders on the pc, but if i try to access the mac os disk in the dvd drive i get 'error=-36' anyone have any ideas?

i might try and do a temporary patch up job and hook my dvd drive into the imac somehow, think its got an ide interface

OP
E

Eif

Reaction score
thanks macheadcase, that was a good lead, i found out in OSx 2 that the error is an I/O error. not much other info. Ive now found i can access the DVD drive, but not when the mac disc is in there!!! it works fine if i put any other kind of dvd in the drive. i think the problem is down to windows not being able to recognise the mac disc. i'll have to try and find some free software to install on the pc, so that it can accept the mac disc...the quest continues :) i still dont have much hope of being able to install from this drive, but its worth a shot

OP
E

Eif

Reaction score
well...have installed macdrive6 on the pc, and accessed the osx discs on the dvd drive from the iMac!!. have tried to install, but the install folder is empty?? have tried firmware updates (wot a malarky!) no joy there, software says my imac isnt an imac. have tried resetting startup disk to boot from network ...system just hangs.
i've a five day free trial on the macdrive software, i might try and copy the dvd osx install discs onto cd's. but then im not sure the mac will read writable discs? only other option is directly hooking my dvd drive into the mac, which will probably be a bit dodgy, and a lot of grief just to re install an os.

i thought mac's were easy to use?

M

MacHeadCase

Yes they are easy to use.

What you are trying to do is weirded out contortions (and that's putting it mildly!) installing Mac OS X via network via a PeeCee's DVD.

For a measly $10, you could get from Apple OS X Tiger (I'm assuming this is Tiger 'cause Panther came on CDs...) in CD form. You just need to return the Tiger DVD and ask for the CD installs instead...

OP
E

Eif

Reaction score
Yes they are easy to use.

What you are trying to do is weirded out contortions (and that's putting it mildly!) installing Mac OS X via network via a PeeCee's DVD.

For a measly $10, you could get from Apple OS X Tiger (I'm assuming this is Tiger 'cause Panther came on CDs...) in CD form. You just need to return the Tiger DVD and ask for the CD installs instead...

nope...its panther on dvd
ah well...i like a challenge

OP
E

Eif

Reaction score
cracked it open and had a shufty around, surprised how small the actual computing component of the iMac is! very compact. seems the optical drive interface is different to IDE, so thats scuppered that idea. only options really are to try and pick up a cheap firewire external dvd drive, or sell it and get a slot loading imac, or put the software back on ebay and get a set on CD instead lol...thats gotta be the easiest.

hmm...well, i learnt a lot trying all this out, and maybe my ramblings on here will be of some use to a fellow iMac newbie.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.