• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I think I have Mac's first virus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
This seems like a virus because I'm new to the Mac thing... All of the sudden my computer locks with a black box in the middle of the screen with the background dimmed... It said in like four languages that I needed to hold in my power button or use the restart button to restart my Mac... I left the PC and couldn't figure out why my music was skipping and that shows up... Is this normal? OS X 10.3.9

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kernel Panic. Usually but not always caused by bad RAM or other hardware issues. Can be the OSX install also. Not a virus. Not in any way.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yay! Glad I asked... Even when it crashes, it looks cool! I did put in some old 16MB Compaq ram stick, so it's possible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
What I'd do, if you have the resources, is use an old Wintel machine and run MemTest86+

It's on the Ultimate Boot CD, which any one who fixes PC's knows how amazing of a tool this thing is. UBCD Download Page

It basically does read/write tests to your ram sticks and either passes it or fails it depending on how many times it fails to read or write. Thus, you can find out if your ram is bad or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Yay! Glad I asked... Even when it crashes, it looks cool! I did put in some old 16MB Compaq ram stick, so it's possible...

Toss the 16mb ram stick... it is PC 66. Your 400mhz g3 requires PC 100/133 ram only. PC 66 will make the system unstable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Toss the 16mb ram stick... it is PC 66. Your 400mhz g3 requires PC 100/133 ram only. PC 66 will make the system unstable.

Agreed totally.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just threw it in for kicks... I realized that Safari makes my Mac run pretty fast compared to using FireFox so I stole the 133Mhz 256MB chip from it, and replaced the 16mb chip. I have another 256MB chip coming from techound1, so that should make it a bit more stable and faster! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.