Considering switch. Confused about BootCamp.

Reaction score
Hello!

I've never used a Mac in my life. Never. Ever. I've seen some of them on display (man, they look awesome!) and I've heard a LOT of great things about them, and now I'm considering to buy one. I've been a regular PC (Windows/Linux) user my entire life, and I know most of the applications I use are available in the Mac, I think. (Eclipse, Idle, Apache?). Anyway, my main concern is Visual Studio. I regularly and regrettably have to use Visual Basic and Visual C#. I know those are some heavy programs. My question is, is Visual Studio going to work fine on a Mac, using boot-camp? If I compile an application in the Mac, is it going to work on a PC? Is Boot-camp just the same thing as dual-booting a Linux and a Windows partition?

Well, that's my only concern about switching...

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, Boot Camp is essentially the same as dual-booting. All Boot Camp does is partition the hard drive and function as a boot loader (a pretty one at that ;))

There might be another option available for you. I'm not exactly sure as to how many resources Visual Studio takes, but as long as heavy 3D support isn't necessary, then you could look into something called Parallels. It lets you run Windows side by side with OS X. This way you can still enjoy all that OS X offers and save time from rebooting often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Anyway, my main concern is Visual Studio. I regularly and regrettably have to use Visual Basic and Visual C#. I know those are some heavy programs.
Boot Camp is intended for casual, occassional use of Windows on a Mac. Basically, if you need to run one (maybe two) apps once in a while.
If you need to use Windows regularly, then a Mac is not for you.
Boot Camp, Parallels or not... Mac is not the right choice for you.
Especially if you need to run Visual Basic and Visual Studio. Stick with the right tool for the job... in your case, that is a Windows-based machine, not a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.