Does AppleTV work with Harmony and other Universal Remotes?

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a AppleTV shortly but am concerned with one thing. I use a Universal Remote (specifically a Harmony Remote, the H688). I am wondering if the Apple Remote using standard IR and as well if it will work with a Harmony Remote or other universal remotes?

Reaction score
Doubtful that your universal remote has the Apple TV codes on it. I have seen remotes though, where you hold up the remote to the universal remote and it can "memorize" IR signals from a foreign remote.

Does the Harmony have such a feature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The Harmony remotes are programmed by plugging them into a computer and using an online database to add/configure devices.

Even if Logitech hasn't added the AppleTV profile, you can always get the Harmony remote to memorize commands manually using the remote included with the AppleTV.

Let me check the Harmony program and see if AppleTV support has been added.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
OK, just updated to the latest software and looks like the AppleTV hasn't been added...yet. Though I found that it supports the Mac Mini, so it shouldn't be too difficult teaching it to work with an AppleTV seeing as how they both use the same remote and software (AppleTV is essentially Front Row with a pretty skin).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
This would also be very important to me as I have a Harmony remote too (although I do like the look of that small Apple remote).

I don't have an Apple TV but I did find this link on the net if it helps...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=290426

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.16GHz Intel C2D, 2GB Ram, 120 GB HD
There isn't any reason why the Harmony won't be able to control AppleTV. Just give Logitech time to get their database updated.

Reaction score
Harmony does have Apple remote code

I've had a Logitech Harmony for the last 6 months, and when I initially got it, I uploaded the Apple Remote instructions to it. Worked great on my iMac and MacBook Pro and handled all the comands that the Apple remote could. Now that I have an AppleTV, I was able to include it in my theatre system and low and behold, my Harmony picked up where the AppleTV remote left off.
All the apple remotes are the same, there's nothing special about the one that comes with AppleTV. You can take that and use it on any existing (Intel) Mac and it will work just the same as the one that came with the computer.
Mine works!

Reaction score
I have the harmony remote and i have it setup with my apple tv, i had to learn the commands, works like a charm!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.