NTSF External Harddrve question

Reaction score
I have a large hard drive which is formated NTSF since i was using it with a windows laptop, its full up so i don't have anyway of moving the data off and formatting it for my mac then putting the data back on it. I can read the drive on my mac i just cant write to the drive.

Anyone know how i can just use this drive without formatting it for MAC.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a large hard drive which is formated NTSF since i was using it with a windows laptop, its full up so i don't have anyway of moving the data off and formatting it for my mac then putting the data back on it. I can read the drive on my mac i just cant write to the drive.

Anyone know how i can just use this drive without formatting it for MAC.

Thanks

You should be able to read data from a drive formatted NTFS - I have never tried to write to one, but have never had any trouble reading the data.

Reaction score
I don't think you can.

I had to move my data off the drive, format the drive as a FAT32 file system using the Disk Utility (in case I ever want to use it with a PC), then put the data back onto it.

You will only ever be able read a NTFS drive, but FAT32 and Mac file sytems you will be able to read and write to.

You'll need to find someway to back the data up, which may be a problem if there's a lot of it. Lots of DVDs perhaps? or do you know anyone with enough room on there PC/mac or external drive who could hold the data for you while you reformat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Just tested that out..... I just plugged my 80 gig NTFS external drive that I used to use with my windows pc into MBP....I could see the drive and access files but could not move files to/from it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.