Problem with energy saver in system preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
I recently set up my old power mac g4 (400mhz, 60 gig hd, 620 mb ram, running 10.4.9) for a friend of mine. He asked me to change the settings so that it would not go sleep when he left it alone for a while, so it could continue to download something while he wasn’t actually using it. So I open up system preferences and click on the energy saver button and it won't open. It just says loading energy saver and it never opens up. It doesn’t appear to be freezing or anything, and everything else seems to work fine, but I just can't seem to be able to open the energy saver.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Search your HD with key word "energy". When you see the EnergySaver.prefPane, click on it and go to Finder, File, Get Info.
It should say OPEN WITH: System Preferences.app (default). No other application will open it.
I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 7
OP
Follow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16 GHz
Search your HD with key word "energy". When you see the EnergySaver.prefPane, click on it and go to Finder, File, Get Info.
It should say OPEN WITH: System Preferences.app (default). Not other application will open it.
I hope this helps.

I searched the HD for "energy", but engerysaver.prefpane doesn't come up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obviously, that is the reason why it does not work. But, I don't know how you can put it there other than during the initial installation of your System.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I searched my HD for "preference" and I found my Folder for "PreferencePanes" where the "EnergySaver" is.
Try putting your System installer disk in the drive and see if you can isolate and copy the icon for the EnergySaver onto your HD, into the PreferencePanes folder.
Or, maybe copy the whole PreferencePanes folder onto your HD, System, Library.
If this does not work, try copying the EnergySaver icon onto your desktop.
I was able to make a copy of mine onto my desktop. When I clicked on it, it said that it could not install, because it already exist.
So, maybe if you can copy one onto your desktop, you can install it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It would not come up in Spotlight but in the old Finder Search from the File menu for me. That could be why you can't find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would not come up in Spotlight but in the old Finder Search from the File menu for me. That could be why you can't find it.

Good suggestion. Mine comes up either way, though.
The issue is that it cannot be accessed via System Preferences.

Reaction score
i think the better way to solve this prob is to change the energysaver.prefpane file with anther one so plz , i have the same problem but that i accdentaly delete the file ,
i need some one with a powerbook G4 ppc machine with a leopard sys its better to be 10.5, to copy and send the energysaver.prefpane file for me , you can find it in harddisk / sys/ liberary / pref pane / energysaver.prefpane as in the photos
Picture 3.png

Picture 1.png

Picture 5.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
i think the better way to solve this prob is to change the energysaver.prefpane file with anther one so plz , i have the same problem but that i accidentally delete the file ,
i need some one with a powerbook G4 ppc machine with a leopard sys its better to be 10.5, to copy and send the energysaver.prefpane file for me , you can find it in harddisk / sys/ liberary / pref pane / energysaver.prefpane as in the photos
View attachment 13935

View attachment 13933

View attachment 13936

View attachment 13934

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.