• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

NeXT — The Way the Future Was

Reaction score
I discovered this on YouTube — a long video of Steve Jobs — with hair and wearing a tie — demonstrating the wonders of NeXSTEP.

I've not had the opportunity to see any NeXT machine and my knowledge of the system stops at the little I've read about it, so in my case the video makes the lineage of OS X as transparent as some of the objects Jobs manipulates on the monitor. The dock is the dock, but Spotlight-like usage is nameless.

The video goes far beyond any flat statements that OS X is based on NeXT. Thankfully, Apple dumped some of the windows' Windows look.

Toward the end, Jobs almost says "One last thing"; he says 'second-last thing." But it may be the first time he tells viewers "It just works." At one point he almost says it, then a little later, he does.

Reaction score
lol he disses macintosh in it, hes just like,"if you moved these pictures on a macintosh, they would take a week to repaint. lol i want an old next work station

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Who made that system? Was that something Jobs did while out of Apple?

OP
B
Reaction score
This Wikipedia article says:
In 1986, finding himself sidelined by the company he had founded, Jobs sold all but one of his shares in Apple. Around the same time, Jobs founded another computer company, NeXT Computer. Like the Apple Lisa, the NeXT workstation was technologically advanced, but was never able to break into the mainstream mainly owing to its high cost. Among those who could afford it, however, the NeXT workstation garnered a strong following because of its technical strengths, chief among them its object-oriented software development system. Jobs marketed NeXT products to the scientific and academic fields because of the innovative, experimental new technologies it incorporated (such as the Mach kernel, the digital signal processor chip, and the built-in Ethernet port).

The NeXT Cube was described by Jobs as an "interpersonal" computer, which he believed was the next step after "personal" computing. . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.