Should I install os 10.4.9 ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I've been seeing alot of threads about how people dislike the os 10.4.9 upgrade. I'm just wondering what advantages there are for 4.9 over 4.8 ? and if you suggest me to upgrade or not ?

I guess you could say that the pc world has scared me so bad that i have learned to take no more chances with messing up my computer.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i had my doubts about it, but finally did it. not sure what benefits you'll really see on your machine. on my macbook, it really did help make the external speaker volume more realistically loud.

if you do, just make sure you remove all unecessary peripherals, shut down all other apps, maybe even restart to a clean system, then run the update alone (with no other updates), then restart and let it take as long as it needs to restart.

Reaction score
dont do it trust me i stufed up my cd and dvd drive somehow by upgrading to 4.9, well it was stuffed before i fixed it but..it recked as soon as i upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I haven't had any issues since I installed it the other day.
Just be sure to disconnect all of your external drives and other non-essential devices before you install the update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
dont do it trust me i stufed up my cd and dvd drive somehow by upgrading to 4.9, well it was stuffed before i fixed it but..it recked as soon as i upgraded.

then the same could only happen to them IF they had the exact same problems as you had before the update. And I doubt a software update would affect hardware in such a way.

Surely you would have concluded that since it was giving problems BEFORE the update, it couldn't be the update affecting it?

I've not had any problems at all upgrading to 10.4.9. Everything is as smooth as ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I instaled 10.4.9 on both my iMac and MacBook, upgrade went perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
My upgarde when quite smoothly

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I haven't had any issues since I installed it the other day.
Just be sure to disconnect all of your external drives and other non-essential devices before you install the update.

are you souposed to disconnect all of your external drives when you update every time ?

M

MacHeadCase

It's a safe practice. By doing this, you absolutely make sure that the update has ideal conditions for the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i have an issue with my externals not shutting down when ejected in 10.4.9

until that gets fixed, ill stick with .8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
All seem to work fine like before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i have installed it on both my machiines and no problems at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Installed on 2 machines with external drives and on a network with all sorts of stuff connected. No problems at all.

It's worth installing to speed up the print boxes in Rosetta apps.

Reaction score
I have had very few problems with 10.4.9 but there have been enough horror stories for you to proceed cautiously. You know you need a backup, do it before you upgrade! Previous comments about disconnecting peripherals, directory and permissions repairs are good common sense practices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.