External Hard Drive Enclosure

Reaction score
I recently dismantled my nearly three-year old iBook and removed the 60gb Fujitsu hard drive. My plan was to put it into an external hard drive enclosure so that I could access my files. I purchased a Macally PHR 250cc FireWire/USB 2.0 External Enclosure for 2.5" HDD and have run into problems. The Fujitsu drive fits into the enclosure, but there are extra "pegs" that do not match up with any corresponding holes. Also, the enclosure casing will not fit over the Fujitsu drive when it is inserted. From what I've read, I have the correct equipment, so what am I doing wrong? The reviews on Amazon.com, where I purchased the enclosure are all rave reviews, with no mention of problems, so I assume this is user error. Help!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe you could take a picture and post it so we can see what you're talking about?

also, are the "pegs" you're talking about a small set of 6 or 8, maybe with one set that has a little piece of metal and plastic connecting them? if so, those are the jumpers that determine if the drive is a master, slave, or set to cable select. they don't connect to anything in the enclosure.

btw, welcome to the forums!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
eric - found the instruction manual on this page - scroll all the way down and under "Aluminum Enclosures"

mary - am guessing you have attached the drive to the circuit board - picture #4 on page 8 and you are trying to put the Bottom cover back on now?? (picture #5)
If the drive is not aligned on the circuit board side to side, it is probably not connected correctly.
If the drive is sticking out beyond the end of the circuit board, then more than likely the they are not pushed together all the way - push the board and drive tighter together

Let us know if that helps

If not, give us the model # of the Fujitsu drive, should be listed on the label.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.