I'm confused! Need help from anyone Please~

Reaction score
I am 15" imac flat panel user. Facing a problem that is I love an online game which is only able to download to PC. And I always have to play this game using my Sis pc, and recently her pc having problem when every i log in to this game!

Now my mac is going to DIE~is not working now and I am confuse should I buy a 20" imac or buy a pc....well I like very much Mac performance and the super quality graphic (no pc can compare to it ^ ^ ) but again...
I will not able to play that favourite game on my own mac...

Btw, I thot new imac can switch to OSX operating system and also Window XP operating system am i right?? CONFUSED!!!!!:radioacti

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i pretty much gave up a lot of the games i used to play when i switched to mac.

you're going to have to make that decision yourself though. is the one game worth not having a mac if you love the OS so much?

Reaction score
oh yeah and for your reply "janechua"...get virtual pc thats the only way to play pc games on ure mac, but i warn u get a bigger memory card cause mac splits it with virtual pc. E.g if i have 500mb to run virtual pc it would run 250mb, so go for like a 1gig or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
oh yeah and for your reply "janechua"...get virtual pc thats the only way to play pc games on ure mac,
You can't use VPC to play games as it doesn't support 3D graphics needed to run the games.
That and it is exrtremely slow, even when simply running Windows.

Also, I am pretty sure that the OP has an Intel Mac, which wouldn't run VPC anyway.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

So meaning there is no such issue that new mac that can switch use of 2 different O/S (OSX n Windows XP) like currently mac which we can choose to boot into OSX or OS9. Am i right?

So if my imac totally die, then the flat panel screen (monitor) have to bury together? Even it's not "SICK"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
You prefer the Macintosh stay with it. If you want to play games, get a game console. Once you get used to the Mac and then rely on a PC for daily computing you will quickly feel the loss and want another Mac, trust me.

M

MacHeadCase

On the new Intel-based Macs you can install Windoze XP by running Apple's Boot Camp but I believe you will have to install more RAM than what comes in standard.

Also if you are looking at the iMac (excellent choice btw), it would be much better if you didn't buy the low-end 17-inch 1.83GHz model as it doesn't come with a possibility of a dedicated video card: instead it has a Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory. And it doesn't offer the SuperDrive (which allows you to burn DVDs), just the Combo Drive.

What is the online game you are referring to? Can you ask around if some fellow gamers can play this game on Macs via Boot Camp?

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
I am playing this "Mapelstory" 2D game. Anyone of you play this game?

Btw, If to replace a new HD is it very easy? And any one know which type of HD should I choose for my imac.

Current imac spec:

60GB
800MHZ G4
RAM 768
CD-RW/DVD-R (Super Drive)
15" Flat panel
NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX Graphics
32 MB DDR Memory
2 Firewire port (never use them since I bought it, coz not really understand the usage....:( )
3 USB port + 2 USB port at keyboard

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
MHC, dont need to say sorry ^ ^. I was thinking of buying a new mac but then saw from some threads that if HD failed, can replace a new one.

So was thinking is it worth it to just replace a new HD (provided I know how to replace it!!) I am just a noobie in mac :D

Or just get a new imac.

Reaction score
ok...wats a problem called when mac ejects ure cd's and dvd's?does this mean i have to get a brand new MAC??

M

MacHeadCase

Rtas, I fail to see what is your point in this thread and if you can't add anything constructive to a thread asking for help, well you know... :radioacti

Anyway.

Back on topic.

JaneChua, here is a .pdf file of the flat-panel iMac but a word of caution this file is 4.1MB and takes forever to load (or download) so be patient. Keep the file to your desktop or print it, it might come in useful for other things later. It has info on every component inside your iMac.

I would say that if you aren't too much into taking apart a computer and rebuilding it, this might be a bit hazardous to undertake.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As a quickie tool, you can use this page at OWC to find what items that are upgradeable in your Mac.

Pick your Mac on the right side, click on Show Models.
On the next page, pick your model and select what upgrade you want - in this case Data Storage. This is a convenient tool to show you the specs you need to be looking for. In this case, if what you need to replace is the hard drive, a 7200 rpm ATA/IDE hard drive. You should be able to get another 80GB drive for around $50 or less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
Personally, i still believe that a home-made PC is better for games than a Mac. However, for just one game i would think twice. You can buy an iMac and use BootCamp to run Windows or you can buy a Mac Mini and also use BootCamp, since that game (Maple Story?) seems to be a light one, so a Mac Mini should be able to handle it.

Your Mac is old, replacing the hard drive won't give you much advantages. You cannot compare replacing a piece/part to replacing the entire machine. If you don't have the money for a new Mac or a new PC, just change the hard drive or increase the memory, but remember that your Mac is already old, its life is getting shorter.

If you have the money for a new Mac, maybe is time to get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.