install mac os x 10.4.6

Reaction score
Hi there,

Currenlty i have imac g4 800 Mhz flat screen.
Current version of OS X 10.3.9

A few days ago i got a dvd Mac OS X Install DVD.
Just now i tried to install and i run into problem.

I put the DVD inside, strart the i install by clicking on icons Install, than it asks me for my user name and password. As i dont have system setup with password protection i just click on ok and sistem restarts itself.

Holding down the C.

Everyting goes very well untill that screen with apple logo. It sits there and does nothing. i just hear spin for 2 or three seconds and nothing.

What do i missing here ? Can anybody help me with this ?

Thank you,

rutin

Reaction score
i am having the same problem with my G3 ibook. note that im a noob with macs so it could be somthing really obvious lol

Reaction score
You probably have the gray System Install DVD that came with a different model Mac. The gray disks were OEM shipped will only install on that model. They won't always install on other models. You want the black disks.

OP
R
Reaction score
thank you for your reply.
i got the mac os x 10.4 retail dvd.

how could i check which version i have of dvd? just to make sure i got this thing right.before i do anything i would like to backup all the files, to a bootable dvd.

is there any solution that i could make a bootable dvd on my mac ?

another question, is it normal that when i press install icon, it brings up that window, click on restart, and is asks me for username and password ?

can i troubleshoot startup, see some logs, what is doing, whats wrong ?

sorry for so many question , just switched to mac from 14 years using pc.

thank you,
rutin

Reaction score
The black retail DVD should work for any PPC Mac that meets the basic minimum requirements for 10.4. Do other DVD's work correctly? Your drive could be hosed...

Which raises a real fundamental question for rymoto: does your iBook have a DVD player?! Does the installer show up on your desktop?

OP
R
Reaction score

as soon as put the dvd it shows on desktop, and new windo openes with lots of folders files. i locate the black icon with x , click on it.

new window opens , click restart asks me for my username and password, i click ok and sistem restarted.

while sistem restarting i am holding down c , when it reaches that apple logo, i hear the dvd drive spinning and stays there.

i waited like one hour nothing happened.

dvd drive is DVR 111D pioneer internal.

can i some how make a backup of an existing system and make a bootabl dvd just to see if it will boot ?

since 5 days i am trying to solved the problems, so please help me if you can.

thank you,

rutin

p.s.
sorry for bad english.

Reaction score
The black retail DVD should work for any PPC Mac that meets the basic minimum requirements for 10.4. Do other DVD's work correctly? Your drive could be hosed...

Which raises a real fundamental question for rymoto: does your iBook have a DVD player?! Does the installer show up on your desktop?

No I have a cd drive, but I am also using a CD version of the install. I have tried with two different sets, one described as retail, with similar results

Reaction score
o and the CD does show up on the desktop, but not the installer specifically. i go into the CD and click on the installer

Reaction score
In both cases, it sounds like you guys should be able to install 10.4. The only thing I can think of is that both machines are old enough that there may be problems with the CD or DVD drives themselves. You may have to get an external optical or get a friend with a PPC Mac and do the Firewire trick.
:eek:neye:

OP
R
Reaction score

in my mac i had super drive, ( "cd- read, write", dvd - read ). worked just fine.
burned like 20 cds. no more. dvd readind with no problems.

due to this problem i replaced it with dvr 111d pioneer.

same problem with my both drives, now i have opened new thread to see if my mac is compatible.

seen some thread googling, that i should set my dvd to master and hard drive to slave.

could this be a problem ?

thank you,

rutin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
as soon as put the dvd it shows on desktop, and new windo openes with lots of folders files. i locate the black icon with x , click on it.

new window opens , click restart asks me for my username and password, i click ok and sistem restarted.

while sistem restarting i am holding down c , when it reaches that apple logo, i hear the dvd drive spinning and stays there.

Don't try and restart from within your current version of OS X.

Turn the machine off and turn it on, holding down C.

OP
R
Reaction score
hi there,

please visit this url: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_800_fp.html
that is my mac.

pdf document from dvd.

System requirements You must have a Macintosh computer with:
• a PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 or Intel processor
• a DVD drive • built-in FireWire
• at least 256 MB of RAM
• a built-in display or a display connected to an Apple-supplied video card supported by your computer
• at least 4 GB of disk space available, or 5 GB if you install the developer tools

If you see a message in the Installer that you do not have enough disk space to install Mac OS X, you can deselectin the Easy Install panel.

do i have i right version of dvd for my mac ?

thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.