Playing MPGs in Firefox - Recommended Approach?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have noted that whenever I try to play an MPG in a web page using Firefox, it freezes, eventually resulting in the spinning beachball of death. I have to force quit Firefox at that point to get it back. Is there a recommended plug in for playing MPGs? I know in the Linux world I would get the MPlayer plug in - is there an equivalent for Mac?

EDIT: just tested this with Safari as well - same behavior. So, same question as well, but for Safari - what is the recommended approach for playing MPGs in Safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
It's probably QT that is choking on you. Try downloading the file instead of trying to play it in the browser.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks giulio, I would love to, but it never gets that far. Firefox, Safari, Camino, they all behave the same way. They freeze before the page is even loaded. I have tested that QuickTime will play MPGs. I also have MPlayer loaded, and it will do the same thing.

Perhaps what I need to do is change the action the browser takes when it encounters the .mpg file type. I see that for Firefox, in Preferences->Content->File Types->Manage you can see a list of file types and the application to open them with. However, there does not appear to be a way to add more entries to the list.

I am thinking that if I could add .MPG to the list, and then tell it to open them in an external application (QuickTime or MPlayer) perhaps this would work.

So, does anyone know how to add to the list of file type actions in Firefox?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.