Stuck on startup Help pls!

Reaction score
Hi,

My macbook pro was installing updates. It went into screensaver mode, when I took it out the screen went grey, and after a while the screen came up telling me to hold the power button down to shut down / restart my computer.

When I turn it back on it stays stuck on the startup, before getting to the login page, with the thinking circle going round.

I have left it like that for over an hour but nothing happens.

Does anyone know anything that could help?

Thanks!

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi,

My macbook pro was installing updates. It went into screensaver mode, when I took it out the screen went grey, and after a while the screen came up telling me to hold the power button down to shut down / restart my computer.

When I turn it back on it stays stuck on the startup, before getting to the login page, with the thinking circle going round.

I have left it like that for over an hour but nothing happens.

Does anyone know anything that could help?

Thanks!

Reaction score
In all probability the update failed. You may have to go back to your original system CD and do the Archive and Install process. It is perfectly safe, just read each screen carefully and go slowly. You will have to reapply the 10.4.9 update, turn off that screen saver and above all make sure that no other apps are running. It seems that most people who had problems were multi-tasking. Which is exactly what I was doing when my update failed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
My macbook also did this
I had to use the "restore" disks and reinstall everything
i didnt lose any data or my prgrams etc
just make sure you do not do a clean install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
try holding down the "alt" button at chime.

should work

OP
B
Reaction score
Have tried but the mac doesn't boot from the CD, it just goes straight to the thinking page where it stays stuck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
^ have the same problem, but holding the alt button worked for me.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
after you boot it up, just go into the pref pane, and startup disk.

click on what you want it to be, and youll never/shouldnt have to hit alt again.

youll have to click the restart button

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.