Unable to safely eject sandisk 2GB cruzer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
Hi, Kind of new to the mac world. Had my macbook for a month now. I have a sandisk 2GB cruzer that when mounted shows me both the u3 drive and a no name disk on the mac. When I try to eject the no name, the u3 stays and I cannot eject it. Same strory when I try to eject the u3 first and the no name disk after that. No other option but to shut down the mac and then remove it.

Does anyone else have this issue. I don't want to get rid of the u3 since i use it to launch work outlook with my pst file on my xp desktop.

This is the only thing that doesn's work well so far.. On my xp desktop, I get both the drives to eject simultaneously. Any help appreciated.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
odd that it shows up twice. no usb drive i have does that, they all show up as one ejectable device (in finder and on the desktop).

can you post a screenshot?

also, have you tried emptying the trash before ejecting?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White macbook 2GHZ & 2gb
Thanks for your reply Eric.

I am at work and will post a screenshot in the evening. In finder, I can see two icons (No name and the u3). Same on the desktop. I will try clearing out the trash but I didn't delete anything. In fact, when I try ejecting the second icon, it says it is still in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
you may have tried this already, but does selecting them both and ejecting them at the same time make any difference.

They may (for some reason, I'm not expert) count each other as being in use, so if they're both ejected at the same time, this may overcome it. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here :)

Just make sure you close all documents that may be stored on it, and just to be doubly sure, quit any apps that were launched from the docs stored on the drive. Select them both, and drag onto the trash or hit apple+e.

Also, I find that if there's ever a delay in a drive ejecting, I find that clicking the drive once on the desktop, and then deselecting it, almost always, instantly ejects the drive, with no further troubles or delays. This has worked for external HDs, my iPod and other devices, both at home and at uni on a range of macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Sounds odd, but have you tried running the U3 drive on a WinPC and uninstalling the U3 software/drive? Link below
http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1415

It maybe the fact that it's partitioned differently thats causing the problems, as you should be aware U3 is not supported by Mac, cause we have some if not most of the features already in the OS.

Reaction score
I have a 4Gb USB drive which shows up as 2 drives, as it uses one "drive" for password protection,IIRC - it's FAT32, formatting it as HFS+ would destroy the password protection.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you could always add a protected disk image (dmg file) if you wanted password protection under HFS+. i think his issue is more with his outlook/pst file. it may just be time for two distinct flash drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
follow symondavis's post.

i have a cruzer that was having the same issues. it just have to remove the software. basically what you are doing is deleting the partition its on, and creating one big one.

after this, itll eject fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I have no problems ejecting my cruzer with U3 by highlighting both the White disk image and the U3 CD Image and dragging them both to the trash

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no problems ejecting my cruzer with U3 by highlighting both the White disk image and the U3 CD Image and dragging them both to the trash

Ditto with both my 512Meg and 1GB Memorex U3's Just grab both icons and throw them in the trash. If that does not work, something is wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
i also have a cruzer and i will just drag both items onto the trash and then take it out... it has never done anything to it and im almost positive i read somewhere thasts what u have to do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.