Mac clone - data retrieval

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, 512Mb RAM
I have an old Umax PowerMac running OS9. It has a number of files I'd like to retrieve before I consign it history but given that it uses SCSI rather than USB for peripherals does anyone have any thoughts on how I might best get the data I want.

I have a SyQuest 135Mb SCSI drive but obviously I can't connect that to my Powerbook! It would seem I'm torn between a rock and a hard place.

I have searched, without, success for a SCSI CD writer and also found that I have no ethernet connection on the machine either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Frattonlad.

I guess that clone doesn't have a FireWire port, does it? My first Mac was actually a Mac clone, a PowerCenter 150 desktop. Those clones were blazing fast for the time!

Can you burn those files to CD? Maybe another solution would be if you have server space like a .Mac account, you could transfer those files on there and grab them and download them using another computer.

If you don't have a .Mac account, you could always sign up for a demo, upload the files download them to the other Mac: even if you don't sign up when the demo period is over, you still can fully use it for I think one month or two, can't remember how long the trial period is right now.

Anyone else have any other idea? That's all I can think of at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or checkout Omnidrive for a free .Mac alternative - but I'd guess that sucker isn't even on the web.

I'd pull out the harddrive and search for a SCSI harddrive-> USB adapter.

OP
Frattonlad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll be honest - I'd not thought about going online. I do have an external 56k modem for it, although it might take me a while to get all I need uploaded!

I'm hoping that removing the hard drive is a last resort but thanks both for your ideas. I guess I'll try the web first...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
SCSI Zip drives were quite popular when that Mac was new...and today you might be able to find one cheap. And a corresponding USB zip drive shouldn't be too expensive either; nobody seems to want the things anymore.

Other than that, keep looking for a compatible CD burner or PCI ethernet card.

Reaction score
What are you trying to copy them to? I mean type of machine? You could buy a USB card for the unit if it has a PCI bus. I just bought one for my 9600/300 last week for $29 at the local MicroCenter.

M

MacHeadCase

Great suggestion, _nelsonc! That would indeed work!

Edited to add:

Oops!

You changed your post about the ethernet crossover cable which I thought was a great idea...

Reaction score
What are you trying to copy them to? I mean type of machine? You could buy a USB card for the unit if it has a PCI bus. I just bought one for my 9600/300 last week for $29 at the local MicroCenter.

Yes put in a USB card and move the files to a jump drive.Now some USB cards for PC's will not work,stick to the ones with 2 ports and look for USB 1 cards.

OP
Frattonlad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone - I'm going to sit down with it tonight (children allowing!) and requaint myself with it.

I can't for the life of me remember whether it has any PCI slots, here's hoping! Cheers _nelsonc, yours, I think will prove to be the quickest method.

I'll post back here when I've had a look see.

Thanks again to all who posted.

Reaction score
How large are the files? If you have Stuffit on the clone, you could compress them and email them to yourself. The new version of Stuffit expander would be able to open them. But you'd have to be careful not to accept any new mail in the old machine. It would be the same files coming back.

Are you sure the new Mac could open and read the old files written to run on System 9?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.