What are these strange files on my HD ?

Reaction score
Okay, so I ahve an external HD that has been plugged to a PC and my mac (tiger), but i found some files that i believe come from Windows XP Pro computer and dont know if i need to keep them or can I just trash them without any serious consequences. the list of files are here:

* desktop.ini
* System Volume Information (folder)
- _restore{ }
- _restore{ }
- _restore{ }
- _restore{ }
- _restore{ }

i have to leave work at this moment but i will finish the rest of the files later when i get home :) ....but perhaps someone can help in the meantime.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can trash them. if you ever reconnect to a windows machine, they'll simply recreate themselves.

OP
W
Reaction score
you can trash them. if you ever reconnect to a windows machine, they'll simply recreate themselves.

thanks eric

so trashing them will not cause any lost data from the hard drive, correct?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
right. even if you were only using it on a windows machine, trashing them would have little effect (unless it was your boot drive or planned on using system restore). they are completely useless on a mac though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.