Convince me, please: why buy a shuffle?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My love for the newest and shiniest gadgets has led me to want to buy a 1gig ipod shuffle, the new generation(refurbished from apple for $49). The thing is, I'm just not sold on it yet...I have a 40 gb photo from 2 years ago, but I reallllllllly want this :D

Any suggestions? Comments? Funny anecdotes about the shuffle? Please share!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you need to convince yourself.

what would you do with a flash player with no LCD screen that you couldn;t or wouldn't want to do with the 40Gb? do you run or bike or otherwise excercise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I dont know how to convince you, I personally hate the shuffle lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
Agreed. This is a choice only you can make. Others cannot convince you or make that decision for you.

Agreed...I'm not your Mom make your own choices (depending on what your Mother allows).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
It is just becuz shuffle has more colors to choose from :)

I personally think the 2GB Nano is better if you can afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I have a 1st gen Nano which I only put albums on as I prefer to have the entire album usually. I got a Shuffle 2 days ago and am using it for just favourite songs. Obviously you can shuffle your music on other ipods but if they have full albums on there you may get a series of songs you don't care too much about. I'm not trying to convince you but I'm enjoying having just 1 gig of favourites.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, but he could have a nano, or any other player compatible with his mac, that has a display (and maybe even an FM tuner) and still just have favorites (i've got 9Gb of favorites here on my work laptop - no solid albums at all).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
True, I'm just a little odd and like having them separate... :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is the point, Like Moss and Eric. people are different and do things different ways. Both of them have a good point for what they like. On the surface the Nano would be a much better player to some because of the Display and features, but the Shuffle has it's place also. In the end it's really up to you. What do YOU want your player to do? The Shuffle is great for what Moss does with his shuffle, but for people who want to see what song is playing and don't just want a few favorites, the Nano would be the choice. Up to you.

Reaction score
It really depends on your needs.

I, for instance, couldn't do anything with a 80GB iPod with video, because they don't sell movies here, and my music library rotates (I don't keep music for very long) and I keep it under 5 GB totally because I think having more music is a) too much for the amount I listen to and b) almost inhuman. I don't need to carry 400 CD's around with me all the time.

so you have to choose from

1) The Shuffle: Cheap, wearable and does the job, great for sports.
2) The Nano: very small, very stylish, and holds almost upto 2000 songs, good for running as well.
3) iPod: You gotta watch The Office on the train? Buy this monster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I like the shuffle for it's great portability. I just clip it on somewhere when I'm heading out the door to class and it keeps me occupied while I work out. My biggest reason for having it was for use while working out. I know thye make arm bands for nanos, but I can't handle having anything on me when I doing intense workout.

The only thing I wish they would add to the shuffle is the ability to have playlists and change to them. It would just be a simple addition of 2 small buttons. When a player can hold 500 songs, playlists are a must to make full use of the space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
my best suggestion to you would be to go to a retail store that sells ipods and ask them to convince you. try and make sure they make commission..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I personally could not do without the 80GB. My music is currently at 72GB and growing and I can never choose what music I want to listen to or I would load some music for a trip or a day out and then regret the decision on the music I loaded, whereas the 80GB I have all my music with me everywhere in a device not much bigger than my mobile phone.

I do understand that the majority of people do not have this much music or they do but do not want to rip all of their CDs, which is why the Nano is so popular. If you can go without the display and can last with 1GB then the Shuffle is a good option. Whatever you go with you will not regret your decision. Plus, $49 is no big cost.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't know, they're 80 bucks US, i can easily find a decent player with an lcd screen and maybe even an FM tuner for that much.

yep, a quick bestbuy search... for 10 dollars less, a 1Gb sandisk player with lcd, microSD slot and FM tuner.

why can't apple add any one, or all of those for 10 bucks more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
But there is the build quality to consider also Eric, and the aesthetics. The shuffles are tiny, look good clipped on your clothes (If that's what you're into...) and are just solid. I'm pretty confident I could stamp on mine with no worries.

Reaction score
I chose to buy a refub shuffle after pricing armbands and new headphones for my video iPod. I also heard that the hard drive in the video iPod doesn't like you jogging with it on. If you look at the price of an armband $19-40, and earphones $5-100+ I just ordered a refurbed shuffle for $49 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
Macworld did a review of the Shuffle in its January 2007 issue and they said it has inferior base and more backgroud noise compared to its bigger brothers! Is this what everyone has found?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.