Mac getting older (poor thing)

Reaction score
Now my mac is getting older (2001 imac) and i'm running osx 10.2.8 it doesnt seem able to play many new forms of software, this i can understand but what bugs me is that the older versions arent available anymore!!! i cant find anything that will play avi's, vlc doesnt work on 2.8, newest quicktime i can get is 6.5.3 and wmp doesnt want to know mac anymore and the software they release to play via wmp doesnt work on 10.2.8 i know i know get new osx but moneys tight and there must be some other answer or is apple getting like microsoft bring out new software so everyone has to update....cha ching $$$$$$

hope to hear from someone..
Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi andynorfolk. Welcome to Mac Forums. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues, but the truth is that software ages along with everything else. Eventually, you have to upgrade to remain current. Mac OS X is not to blame when software vendors increment their stuff and don't retain backward compatibility.

I'm afraid you either have to decide to stay with the applications and files that worked in your initial config, or upgrade to be completely current. Its a hard fact, but its a fact!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Yeah, it's been said 10.4 is the "developer's" OS X, and it seems to be true since a lot of developers are making software that takes advantage of it and thus requires it. I would upgrade the operating system at some point (perhaps soon with Leopard?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.