Is the iBook right for me?

R

Randomishness

I've been using PC's since I was seven, and I've hated them for quite a while, I've tried knoppix and lindows (I don't feel very comfortable with them) and the only other option I can see is a mac.
I'm not rich, so I think the best option for me would be a 12" iBook G4 with 60gb Hard Drive, 640mb's ram. It costs £1,028 (I'll be buying a mouse aswell).
I mainly use my PC for surfing the web, photoshop and dreamweaver.
Do you think this is the best choice?
Are there any other cheapish macs that would be better suited for me?

Also, I have a home (wired) network, how would I get my mac on it?

OP
V

varpunk

hi, i brought a 12" ibook g4 about 4 months ago and it great for surffing the net. iam also a design student so i use it all the time with photoshop and it works find with dreamweaver to. as for wired net work i am on a pc network right now just plug it in and your away.

OP
T

trenollet

I agree with varpunk, the iBook will do just fine for surfing, email, photoshop, and DW. I have an older 12" G3 700 w/ 384 MB ram and all those programs run just fine so I'm sure a G4 800 w/ 640 MB ram will work fine too.

Also, networking is a snap with OS X. Just plug it in and away you go. No need to change any configurations.

The only alternative to the iBook, if you want to spend less, is to go to the desktop eMac. Unless of course you want to take a chance on a used iBook from eBay or Amazon.

Good Luck. Hope things work out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I agree to. I don't have a 12 iBook now, but I use one every few days to make sure I'm gonna be happy when I get one (cause I will) and I love it :)

OP
N

nr-media

Max'n out the RAM is a good idea. Especially if you're gonna be using Photoshop a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
What sort of mouse are you buying? Go for a two button with scroll wheel one over the Apple ones - I use The Mouse from MacMice and it's brilliant. I don't know how I got by with a one-button mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I was the right click king in my doz days what dark days they were! :rolleyes: but adapting to the one button mouse has proved nice for me as I have replaced the right click among other things with the keyboard short cuts -- I thought I was gonna have to get a multi mouse, but I never did :) ;)

OP
V

vuschejan

Im with whiteshark i actually sorta prefer one button clicking for some odd reason now...

OP
P

pedXing

Is there a real big necessity for 2 button mice...like does Panther have some features only accessible by right click or do programs like dreamweaver, flash, or photoshop require 2 button mice?

OP
T

tariq

Comes down to personal preference really. Do you want to right-click or use CTRL+left-click for the same function (when using a one button mouse). Both are efficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.