TWO strange things

Reaction score
After using Safari for quite a long time I started being denyied from all the Microsoft related websites. If I try to log into hotmail or any of this companies related to Bill Gates, I get a loggin error that reads as it follows:

Safari can’t open the page
https://login.live.com/ppsecure/pos...1&tw=900&fs=1&lc=1033&_lang=EN&bk=1174557955” because it couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server “login.live.com”.

I deleted the cookies already and tried resetting every function, and it has never gone back to normal, now I use Firefox, but I feel defeated by Microsoft and PC worms.

2ND PROBLEM -more important to me-

2 days ago every page I open that uses flash appears with a quicktime sign that goes soft after appearing and shows a big question mark. I assume that is related to missing plug-ins. I tried downloading quicktime again and it didn´t work. I tried looking for the plug-ins and upgrades for QT nothing worked. I appreciate your comments about this two matters. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've noticed problems with MS sites too, but luckily hotmail still opens normally. The biggest thing that annoys me is my university (Indiana University) uses this super-crap online class resource site called "oncourse" that won't load up in Safari, so I'm forced to use Firefox.

Can't Apple justm ake some patches or or something so all sites will work with Safari? All hte major browsers don't seem to have any problem getting everything to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Could ActiveX controls be involved? Microsoft sites use these, but they are proprietary Microsoft technology that Safari can't make use of. Hence ActiveX pages just don't work. A possible source of your problem?

Reaction score
My dsl ISP uses Hotmail, and occasionally I use the web access rather than my POP account to same source, to check the collection of junk mail. I hardly ever run Safari and I had never gone to Hotmail with it. So on reading this thread, I tried it with Safari. My Hotmail account opened immediately, and it functions properly (I deleted spam in the junk folder). I went to the site using mister_montana's link.

Reaction score
2 days ago every page I open that uses flash appears with a quicktime sign that goes soft after appearing and shows a big question mark. I assume that is related to missing plug-ins. I tried downloading quicktime again and it didn´t work. I tried looking for the plug-ins and upgrades for QT nothing worked. . . .
The problem's probably is with Flash, not QuickTime. Clear all cookies and the cache, then go to this page that has an Adobe Flash/Shockwave test. It also has a link to the downloads page.

If Flash still doesn't work, download a new Flash installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I've noticed problems with MS sites too, but luckily hotmail still opens normally. The biggest thing that annoys me is my university (Indiana University) uses this super-crap online class resource site called "oncourse" that won't load up in Safari, so I'm forced to use Firefox.

Can't Apple justm ake some patches or or something so all sites will work with Safari? All hte major browsers don't seem to have any problem getting everything to work.
The "problem" is that Safari's rendering engine is based largely (by largely, I mean except for the modifcations they've made and given back to the community) on KDE's KHTML engine.
IMSHO, Apple should've gone with at least the Gecko (mozilla) rendering engine or started from scratch.
Omniweb and Shiira do a better job and they're based on KHTML.
I haven't tried the nightly webkit build to see if it's improved - I may do that.

It IS known that Safari is SORELY outdated...

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. Brown_Study thanks a lot for the link you gave me to check flash player. Somehow one of the components must have gotten ruined, so I simply re-installed flash player 9. Again, thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.