Should I wait for 10.5 or get 10.4 now?

Reaction score
Hi all.
I've used MS Windows for years and I've committed to switching to a Mac. My question is, should I get a Mac now or should I wait for Leopard, given that its release should be sometime in the next three months? I'm specifically talking about a top of the line Mac BookPro (I do fairly intense computer, often connected to Unix clusters). Although there is no dire need to switch now, I want it! Yet, I don't want to feel as if I'm out data a month or so after I get the new computer. I wouldn't mind paying for the upgrade to 10.5, but I hate dealing with setting (essentially) everything back up (specifically the programs I use with all of their respective settings).
Thanks for any thoughts,
KK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
well if its not a rush, and you dont absolutly need it right now then wait. For all we know there could even be new models of apple laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Not to mention that there is isnt really a much to do as far as setting things up in a OS X migration. There isn't even a Product Key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Leopard has been planned for release in the first half of 2007. There are only three months of that half left, so the maximum wait *should* be about three months, and possibly less. That is not that long to wait. Admitedly, there are no guarantees that Leopard will be released in that time frame, but it is a good bet. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released any day now. I am rather surprised that it is not out already actually.

Waiting for Leopard saves you the $100+ upgrade fee to buy Leopard when it comes out, since it comes preinstalled on your new Mac. AND, it is not just the $100+, but also the time and effort it takes to install the new OS. This is not huge, but depending on your level of comfort with doing this sort of thing, having it come pre loaded could be quite a benefit.

Finally, and this is just a guess on my behalf, I am suspecting that iLife 07 will come along for the ride on new Macs sporting Leopard. This is just a guess, but a reasoned one. If this is the case, waiting for Leopard before buying the new Mac makes quite a bit of sense, since I have heard that, for example, when you buy Tiger, you don't get iLife 06 included - you have to buy it separately. Thus, waiting for Leopard before buying may save you not just the $100+ for the OS upgrade, but also the $xx.xx (not sure what the price will be) for the iLife upgrade.

For myself, I am waiting to buy a new MacBook Pro until Leopard comes out, for all these reasons. I realize that this means that I may have to wait for a few months, but I see it as worth it.

In the end, this is a VERY personal call. How badly do you want a new Mac? Getting the Mac now, with Tiger, is not a bad move. We are all of us, by definition, currently using Macs with Tiger on them, and we are all generally very happy with them. There are some perhaps tangible benefits to waiting for Leopard, but these must be weighed against the benefit of having your shiny new Mac right now! As I said, a very personal weighing of priorities is in order I think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
personally i would wait. the wait now will probubally save you some money and regret in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Do you reckon apple with give us mac owners free upgrades if we bought a mac in the last year?

Or if my mac should just "break" will i get it back with leopard :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
i seriousally doubt that apple will give owners free upgrades if you bought a mac in the last year, i'm not sure though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2GHz 1GB RAM 120GB HDD
Do you reckon apple with give us mac owners free upgrades if we bought a mac in the last year?

hahah i think i will also have my mac "break" when it comes time for the upgrade

Reaction score
I would probably just wait. I think the next thing we will see from Apple is a refresh of the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. Of course that's just speculation on my part. Waiting for Leopard may bring you some newer, faster hardware.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

The only time you may see a free upgrade is if you purchased your system a week or two before the release of the new OS. If you have Applecare and Apple replaces the system disk on your unit. You might, but most likely it will be the OS that came with your system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only time you may see a free upgrade is if you purchased your system a week or two before the release of the new OS. If you have Applecare and Apple replaces the system disk on your unit. You might, but most likely it will be the OS that came with your system.

I took apple care out, :D
but i guess i will wait and pay for the OS like everyone else

Does anyone know how to become a beta tester?
do you have to work for the company?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
I tried the waiting game, and just couldn't do it. I have no patience. My first mac will be here in 2 days. If you can wait and really don't need the computer right now, then I would wait.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To me, this decision is a very simple one. It all comes down to this...

Is there a killer feature in Leopard that you absolutely must have?

If not, then wait. If so, consider that most of the features touted in Leopard are readily available via add-ons from the aftermarket.

If you want a Mac, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Tiger. To me Leopard is to Tiger what Windows ME was to Windows 98. Besides, you can always upgrade later and the price of admission really isn't that high at $130.

It will be at least a few more months before Leopard. The last developer builds appeared to be still relatively unstable. Features are still being added. Typically when an OS is close to ready, they stop adding features and have most of the bugs shaken out. My prediction is worth a grain of salt, but I would say we're looking at June at the earliest. Even then, it will be a first generation product that will be in need of some refinement - not something that's worth an immediate jump to upgrade in my opinion.

So, although it's been asked and answered on countless occasions now, once again my take is that you should just buy now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the waiting game, and just couldn't do it. I have no patience. My first mac will be here in 2 days. If you can wait and really don't need the computer right now, then I would wait.

I can empathise with you how hard it would have been for you to wait.
I was lucky i didnt get a mac mini at the end of summer / august and waited until xmas when my macbook turned up :D

But i should have waited until leopard just thinking about it
oh well, you cant have everything
my uncle is still on panther
it just looks like so much fun with time machine etc

OP
X
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your thoughts.
I think I'll wait until 10.5 comes out, since I only want and do not need the Mac. I suppose I do need it, but it will be fine to wait.
Thanks and take care,
KK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
I could not wait and got my new 13" 1gbt Macbook, and am really pleased with it as it is my first Mac, so nice not to worry about Virus/Spyware and all that stuff that Windows has problems with.

Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.